long time reader - new 1st time boogie owner

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadster-T4D

Reaction score
hey all

after enduring boogie lust for my entire playing life (~27 yrs), i finally joined the club recently with the purchase of my roadster head ... i have had a pair of boogie 1x12" closed-back cabs for a long time that i use to use with my SS rack setup ... in the next few days i will be posting a handful of Qs that i have, but will start with this one for now ...

i think that i want a 2x12" instead of (2) 1x12" cabs ... i was curious what you folks think of me using a road king half open / half closed cab with my roadster head .... i know i wouldnt have the benefit of cab switching like the roadking, but would it present a problem if i attached the open side to one 4 ohm output and the closed side to the other 4 ohm output?

if it helps, i play a wide variety of classic rock (clean, crunchy, and soaring leads) plus some blues, jazz, and fusion ... no heavy hardcore bone crushing stuff ... and i don't play hella loud either (i am in a 6 piece band so i have to blend with another electric guitarist, an acoustic guitarist, and a keyboard player

as i see it, my choices are
- sell one of my closed back 1x12s and replace it with an open back 1x12 ...
- sell em both and by a 2x12" with a road king half open / half closed
- or sell em both and get a roadster 2x12 closed back ...
- or go off-brand (avatar?) and get a 2x12" open back

thoughts?

thanks
t4d

With the Roadking cab and Roadster its a one way or the other situation. (three options) Either closed back C-90, closed back V-30 or open C-90 and closed V-30 at the same time. I dont recommend using the 4ohm deal you mentioned.It boils down to with the Roadster if you want open or closed cabs. I found I liked the closed back Recto standard cab the best with the Roadster and the Stilleto Ace. Congrats dude on your new amp! The Roadster is a great amp, very versatile and with some tweakin theres a lot of good tones in there.

thanks !

as i see it, each of the speakers in the road king half open/half closed 2x12" cab have their own 8 ohm input ... this is just like the individual 8 ohm speakers i currently own and use ... according the roadster head manual, when using (2) 8 ohm cabs, you hook them each up to the 4 ohm outputs on the head ... so i figured this would be the same with the road king cab ... now, i 'get' that i wont be able to use cab switching where sometimes i use the open back and some times i use the closed back and switch on the fly ... so they'll both be on all the time ... i am potentially cool with that ... but i am concerned that the power rating for each speaker being different will cause a problem or at least undesireable results

thoughts on that?

thanks so much

t4d

I don't think the wattage is a problem, as long as the total is greater than your amp. Some players mix speakers in their cabs to compliment each other, which I think helps fine tune the sound. I'll bet those C90 w/open back will really add alot of 3D depth to the punchy focused V30's.

Dom

thanks Dom

yeah, that's what i'm kinda hoping for - a little more complexity/subtlety to the sound, especially the cleans ... thanks

anyone else have an opinion or advice to share?

cheers
t4d

Back