Lonestar VS Triaxis... Hesitating!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daillou

Reaction score
Hello.

I'm the owner of a stack composed of a Triaxis V 2.0 and a 20/20.
I haven't been using it for months, and I'm wondering if a combo would not be a better choice for my needs today.

I have a possibility of exchaning my set against a LSS, do you think I would make a mistake?

I play many styles, mainly my own music mixed of jazzy, funky and classic rock....

Any advice would be appreciated :wink:

A new piece of gear always inspires me to play more. The LS amps won't let you down. But they're loud. :D

I don't think you'll be disappointed. I use my LSS head at gigs for all those styles you mentioned, and it excels at all of them (the amp really like alnico speakers like Blues or Golds in my experience). Best amp I've ever bought.

Do it! I just got rid of my TriAxis rig, which was AWESOME. By a mere fluke I was turned onto Lonestar and it totally floored me! Awesome tone and wow what a clean sound. Absolutely KILLS the Triaxis, unless of course youre looking for an ultra tight metal rig... which the TriAxis does better.

Many thanks for your posts!

What you are all telling me conforts me in what I'm planning to do.

I don't have the opportunity to try a LSS (I live in the center of France, far from any Mesa shop...).
Is the 5w mode as good as the others? My 5 months little daughter (and her mother...) would be grateful if I use this mode at home :wink:

How much does the LSS combo weight?

I did not think of the LSS head : would it be a good idea to keep my speaker(Mesa Boogie Thiele 1x12 [HP ElectroVoice]) and buy the head instead of getting the combo?

What do you think of my opportunity to exchange my Triaxis & 20/20 against a LSS combo, in terms of financial value?

Thank you again for your help!

The 5W mode is great, easily as good as the others though I use the 30W setting in a band setting most of the time for the headroom. The master volume on the amp is one of the best I've tried too. The tone stays pretty consistent through the dial so you can get nice sounds at low volume.

Being a LSS head owner, I say go with the head, especially if you already have a nice 1x12 cab. It is nice to be able to mix and match cabs for different sounds. I mostly use a 2x12 for gigs.

daillou said:
Many thanks for your posts!

What you are all telling me conforts me in what I'm planning to do.

I don't have the opportunity to try a LSS (I live in the center of France, far from any Mesa shop...).
Is the 5w mode as good as the others? My 5 months little daughter (and her mother...) would be grateful if I use this mode at home :wink:

How much does the LSS combo weight?

I did not think of the LSS head : would it be a good idea to keep my speaker(Mesa Boogie Thiele 1x12 [HP ElectroVoice]) and buy the head instead of getting the combo?

What do you think of my opportunity to exchange my Triaxis & 20/20 against a LSS combo, in terms of financial value?

Thank you again for your help!

I personally would not make that trade. It is a huge step-down...not that the LSS is bad, in fact it's a great amp. But you are losing alot of versatility...and lots of clean head room. There's lots more headroom on that 20/20 than the LSS. I have had both setups, and greatly regretted getting rid of my Tri/20-20 rig. It was very compact, versatile and easy to transport.

Also, there's the value issue. A LSS even if purchased new is going to resell (in this economy) for no more than $1000 -$1100 on average, whereas the 20/20 will get you easily $550-$600 (or more depending on age and condition), the Triaxis will fetch anywhere from $1200 to $1500....so as you can see you are losing alot of equity in your gear.

You can get your rig to sound like an LSS, but not the other way around. I'd put a Celestion Gold in a 1x12, or 2 Celestion Blues in a 2x12 and you will be in LSS country (or Vox).

Thank you for your help. Interesting, indeed.

My main problem with my stack is that it is much too loud for a home use... The 5w fonction is a big advantage, don't you think?

You'd think so, but 5 watts can still be pretty freakin' loud! As a TriAxis/2:Ninety and Lonestar Classic owner, I'd say keep your rack rig. To me, the TriAxis setup is mostly about preamp distortion anyway, so turning the power amp down isn't too big of a deal. In order to get the Lonestars to really shine, sometimes you gotta crank them up!

-dave

Thank you for your advice.

Well, now I'm hesitating again... I've found a good trade for a LSS 1X12, that is sold 1350€, whereas most of them are around 1600.

Here in France, I think my Triaxis would hardly be sold above 1000€, and my 20/20 500 or 600€.

So as you can see, the financial value is quite the same. But now I won't try to make an axchange, as the LSS seller is not interested in my rig, I will try to sell my rack aside.
I will keep my cabinet (a thiele with EV speaker) to try it in combination with the combo in certain situations, just to try...

In about 10 days, I will meet the LSS seller (he's away at this time) and try his amp. If it pleases me, I think I will chose this solution.
If I ever regret it, I can always resell the LSS and go back... Hope I won't!

How difficult...

daillou said:
Thank you for your advice.

Well, now I'm hesitating again... I've found a good trade for a LSS 1X12, that is sold 1350€, whereas most of them are around 1600.

Here in France, I think my Triaxis would hardly be sold above 1000€, and my 20/20 500 or 600€.

So as you can see, the financial value is quite the same. But now I won't try to make an axchange, as the LSS seller is not interested in my rig, I will try to sell my rack aside.
I will keep my cabinet (a thiele with EV speaker) to try it in combination with the combo in certain situations, just to try...

In about 10 days, I will meet the LSS seller (he's away at this time) and try his amp. If it pleases me, I think I will chose this solution.
If I ever regret it, I can always resell the LSS and go back... Hope I won't!

How difficult...

If you get the opporunity, make sure you try this beast in a band context. That is where the amp really comes to life! You won't regret it trust me!

Latest posts

Back