lonestar tones

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrwinder635

Reaction score
Ive got a mesa lonestar 2 x12 combo...great amp
and a gibson les paul standard. I cannot get a good lead sloling tone out of this amp. anyone wanna help me out with some presets and tones you use!

Not trying to be facetious, try using a Strat. My LP does not sound very well out of my DC2 or DC3; but it sounds great through my Fender custom Vibrolux Reverb. Of course I haven't taken much time to dial it in on my Mesa's either.

jrwinder635 said:
and a gibson les paul standard. I cannot get a good lead sloling tone out of this amp. anyone wanna help me out with some presets and tones you use!

search you tube for andy timmons or andy timmons rig and you will find a number of videos of him talking about his setup and how he gets great tones out of his amps including the lonestar. there is one video he does that was actually produced by mesa/boogie that was on their site for a while that he really goes in depth talking about his use of the lonestar and the pedals he uses with it. those should help alot.

I could not get a sound I liked through my LSS chanel 2 (did sound good on channel 1) with my Les Paul with the Burstbuckers (was either to bass, too mid or to thin just could not get it to work after nearly three years of continuous improvement). Plugged in my Epi Dot Delux with Seymour Duncan pickups (JB and 59) sounded fantastic no longer you the Les Paul.

I have also found that the key to the amp for me is to run the master and volume at around 2 o'cloc. If that is too loud (I am talking for rehearsals and gigs as forget home use) step down the wattage and engage thick for 15 watts and thicker for 5 watts. I am now getting a very ACDC Black Ice type sound (good elastic bouncy sound, bright and huge almost quad box bass response) and very happy after three years of frustration with the Les Paul.

PS the Tele on Channel 2 has never been a problem it always sounds good.

Cheer

You may want to swap those burstbuckers for different pickups. I find the stock LP pickups these days are much more well suited to high gain heads like the Dual Rectifier or Marshall JCM2000. The neck pickup, for instance, is basically useless for clean tones because it is so thin and bright, but MAN does it chug well when I hit the gain. If I ever got another LP, I'd definitely pop Duncans in it instead. I like the Alnico II Pro as a neck pickup and the Custom Custom for the Bridge.

I use a Les Paul with the Burstbucker Pros with my Lonestar. Use almost exactly the same settings as Andy Timmons and get a WONDERFUL lead tone! You have to pick hard to be articulate, but with a some volume this amp feeds itself! Especially in a band situation. The tone is just there! Awesome! I use just a little delay (ca. 450ms. and a couple of repeats) The sound is big fat and bold! I love it! I think the secret to good rock tone in a Lonestar is to dail down the bass almost all the way. Good luck!

jrwinder635 said:

Some other good suggestions here. Keep the LP though. I'm not a big burstbucker fan either though (if that's what's in there). I have Duncan in the neck and a Rio Grande in the Bridge--a great mix of tones and works very well with the LS.

As far as settings, I run my ch.1 pretty hot and ride the volume to clean things up (gain setting just past 3:00). I also keep the treble on both channels at 2:00 and the mids around 10:00. Bass on channel one pretty low. Presense about noon. I do play lead on this channel for some songs and just past breakup/Blackface super reverb sort of sound I get.

Channel 2 is a bit different:
Drive: 3:00-4:00 (a key to finding the vibe)
Gain: 10:00-11:00 (low I know but it works)
Treble: 2:00
Mids: 10:00
Lows: 10:00 to 11:00
Presense: 11:00-11:30 (no higher then noon--I like a tad bit of compression, but not to much flab)
Master: Depends on the stage--no lower then 11:00 though

Both channels on 50 watts, tube rectifier, tweed voltage setting and I think the 4 ohm speaker jack. Oh...and I use JJ tesla tubes instead of the boogie tubes and recently went back to 6L6s. This amp was made for 'em and the JJs deliver the sparkle and a sort of woodiness I love.

Mark

Latest posts

Back