Lonestar Special vs. Stilleto ACE

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeoBull

Reaction score
I recently bought a Lonestar Classic; I love it but it is loud; I'm thinking of adding to my collection something smaller and also and EL-xx model.

What are your thoughts on the Lonestar Special vs. the Stilleto ACE as another amp if you already had a Lonestar Special? Is there enough difference between LSC and LSS to make it even worth considering?

Thanks in advance for your help.

GeoBull said:
What are your thoughts on the Lonestar Special vs. the Stilleto ACE as another amp if you already had a Lonestar Special?

Just to clarify: I meant '...if you already had a Lonestar Classic?'

Also, thoughts on the 5:25?

Heya Geo,

Theres a pretty big difference between the LSS and the Ace. The LSS power options being 30/15/5w Class A with EL-84 tubes and the Ace having 50w Class A/B with EL-34 tubes. With you having the new LSC with the 10w Class A option I would think you could get pretty much the same sounds with a tube swap.
The Ace on the other hand is a whole different beast that has a completely different tonal pallet. Good luck finding the "Fluid Drive" setting on an LSC or LSS =).

Hope this helps,

SR

You said you "love your LSC but it is loud"

Trust me....the Ace is LOUD. Maybe look into the F-30 for a different sound and you can find them at very reasonable $$$ new in the stores since dealers have dicounted them so much. There is also the 5:25 to consider.

Currently have an LSS 1x12 and a 5:25 1x10

am about to get an LSC in 2x12 format

To answer some of your questions

I demoed the Ace Combo, loved it, thought it picked up right
where the LSS leaves off. I think the LSS stops at thick medium
overdriven tones, SRV, don't think it is that great for high gain.

While the Ace has a good clean, it has a great overdrive, that
turns to killer gain with the fluid swith on channel 2. seems to
get everything in between
Can definately justify owning both

I bought the 5:25 cuz it is a great home amp with the 10 inch
speaker, Can get a louder sound, without it being much louder
Great 5 watt warm on channel one, and a bit tighter gain on
channel 2 than the LSS. This kind of can justify an LSS and 5:25
but it's pushing it

I'm actually about to pick up an LSC in 2x12 cuz the clean is
awesome, and with the 10 watt class A, and the tweed setting
you really get a whole slew of awesome tones.
Probably going to keep the LSS and LSC and oddly enough
part with the 5:25

Definately think you could own an LSC and LSS
specially with diff speaker configs, and diff types of speakers.
Had a Celestion Blue in the LSS, makes is sound like a Vox
Now have a Weber Blue Dog, this amp sounds quite a bit
diff than the LSC with 2 C-90s

If you want your EL-84 to be tighter for higher gain the 5:25 is the way to go, otherwise I like th LSS better

cheers

I have your issue somewhat in reverse. I bought the LSS 1X12 first. My thinking was to get a certain sound set that I really did not see anywhere else in the lineup. I intentionally went with the LSS because it does its thing at lower outputs which is important is all my stuff happens at home and I was having trouble getting the sound right out of other amps without blowing the windows out.

If there were say 12 sounds that I like to hear, I would say that the LSS covers 4 or 5 well, the LSC covers another 4 or 5 with one or two being somewhat similar, and the Stiletto Ace covers 2 or 3 of the ones I like.

For me, I ruled the Ace out as it did not got as many places for me that the LSC did, but I am likely to go with the Mark IV as it covers 5 or 6 of those sounds with many similar to the Ace and LSC and a few that are unique to the Mark...and it has a silent recording feature.

Back