Lonestar Special Retube Recomendations

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hangnail

Reaction score
Hello
I have owned a LSS for a little over a year. I have yet to get tone out of it that I fully enjoy. I'm ready to do a full retube. Does anyone have any recomendations regarding tubes I should be considering?

I installed a set of JJ's from Eurotubes with very good results and the price is reasonable compared to NOS types.

Thanks Bluefin

Did you replace all the tubes (power, rectifier, preamp) with JJ tubes or did you only replace the power tubes? I believe Mesa has posted something about replacing the preamp tubes with only Chinese tube because of issues. Have you had any problems and what can I expect when I replace?

I like JJ's in the power section and Tung Sol's for the preamp tubes. I found the JJ's too dark and the last thing the LSS needs is too be darker. The Tung Sol's brightened up the amp in a good way. I love JJ's in general though, I use them for any other amp I have. I can't remember what I have in the rectifier tube, I think it's a Sovtek but it seems to be hanging in there so I am not messing with it.

hangnail said:
Thanks Bluefin

Did you replace all the tubes (power, rectifier, preamp) with JJ tubes or did you only replace the power tubes? I believe Mesa has posted something about replacing the preamp tubes with only Chinese tube because of issues. Have you had any problems and what can I expect when I replace?

I did a complete retube with the JJ's except for the rectifier tube which had gone bad earlier. For the rectifier I used an RCA NOS tube since the new ones tend to go bad quickly in this amp. I've had no issues and I think it sounds great.

for me, the biggest problem is the speaker

run it through a closed back cab and it comes alive

ultimately, mines got a greenback and a 12at7 in v1

please keep us posted

Latest posts

Back