Lonestar Special Or Stiletto Ace

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woody

Reaction score
I haven't maid my mind up yet,both are great amps and would be happy with eather but, witch one do you own

Poll Question

I own the LSS and spent some time playing the Stiletto Ace Combo.

To me they are very different amps that I would think of as an either/or or get one...then get the other.

To me, the LSS is a wonderful creature that is sort of unto itself. It has a wonderful selection of tones and far less tweaking to get them. I think it is best with single coils, but frankly my LP Custom sounds terrific through it.

The Ace from what I understand is a way to get into the Marshall EL34 sound areana. Sealed cab with more punch than the LSS. There is a more sudden response to your pick attack and I think it really does a good job of kind of getting a more 'in-your-face' sound. For me, I had to spend a fair bit of time throwing switches for channels and clean/OD to get an idea of what sounds were in there. There is a part of me that always wonders, "If someone wants a Marshall sound, why wouldn't they just buy the Marshall?" Having said that, there are many of us who are very loyal to the name and quality of Mesa.

If I could only own one amp that is pretty darn versatile and gets me wonderful sounds, it would be the LSS.

My suspicion is you may well end up with both.

Build Quality
Versatility
Quality of sound...

Those are my reasons for taking the Stiletto before a Marshall... and honestly..if I wasn't using a Stiletto I'm go for a Boger, Splawn, JSX before a Marshall

I tried both amps at a Guitar Center several times before settling with the Stiletto Ace but that's prob because I'm an old Marshall guy and the amp has EL34s in it which I love the sound of. They're both good amps. As far as what you're looking for and "tone" it's really a subjective thing. It depends on what you like. If you're more into Southern Rock or the Texican sound I'd go with the Lonestar Special but if you like higher gain I'd go with the Stiletto Ace. Both have good clean tones.

Back