Lonestar Special Or Stiletto Ace

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woody

Reaction score
I haven't maid my mind up yet,both are great amps and would be happy with eather but, witch one do you own

Poll Question

the LSS

for me the choice was between those two also

reasons................
LSS was a bit more compact
felt the Stiletto better for metal the LSS for classic rock

liked the dials on the stiletto better!
wasn't found of the dagger

of course this just being my opinion

Tone is subjective and it changes over time. I was just thinking about this the other night. The tone that I loved when I was 16 wouldn't hold a candle to what I have now but that's because I didn't know any better. I was playing out of Peavey amp but because I hadn't heard better I thought it was the bomb! Then I discovered Marshall and suddenly Peavey sounded like crap. Then I discovered Mesa Boogie and well Marshall didn't sound like crap it's just that I like the Mesa distortion better plus it had great cleans to boot well at least on my Stiletto Ace anyways. You will just have to go down to your local Guitar Center and crank both up and see which one fits the bill better. Make sure you're in a "quiet room" though so you can truly hear what the tone sounds like.
All in all, Mesa makes great amps for different needs and they really are a step above a lot of other amps out there IMO. Good Hunting!

If one was really better than the other Mesa would discontinue or improve the other and make them sound identical...

Anyway... you get the point.

It's totally subjective. I'm an older guy and I prefer vintage sounds... I like and appreciate really good sound quality. Matchless, Bogner, and Badcat are some of my favorite sounding amps. I think what it comes down to more than anything is your playing style and the type of guitars you play. Certain platforms excel for different styles. Also personal preference comes into play. I've played through the MKIV, Lonestar Classic, F50, F30, Rectoverb, Stiletto Ace, Stiletto Deuce, and the Lonestar Special. What I heard from the Special earned it last place among these amps. I would take an F30 over it! Does that mean the F30 is a better amp? Absolutely it does! To me. I found the Lonestar Special had terrible high gain. Does that make it a bad amp? It does for someone like me who prefers more gain but for others who like it more bluesy and play single coils it may be perfect! It also depends on what tubes you prefer. Personally I've never liked EL84 based amps. Others wound play nothing else. Best way to find out is to go play through them and see which amp your guitar, fingers, and ears like the best... because one thing I know is that it will likely be different than what everyone on this thread is telling you. You might prefer a Matchless!

Back