Lonestar Special Issues

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Fin

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm going to be buying a new Mesa amp shortly and I'm leaning toward the Lonestar Special but I have been reading about some issues regarding one of the tubes. Is this a legitamate problem with a new amp or not something to worry about?

My other option would probably be an Express 5:50.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Just get a NOS 5Y3 rectifier and you're all set. $20 fix, no problem. Actually, they may have even addressed this by now in their newer ones. Either way, it's not something to worry about.

I had a LoneStar Special with no tube troubles at all, if I would have had a problem I certainly would not have considered it an issue, after all we all know tubes go bad,,right? That was a great amp and I miss that one!! Are you buying a head unit or combo??

Hi,

I've had mine now for 8 months. It gets played for at least half an hour every day at home volume and at least once a week it gets a proper workout at band practice and gigs. I've not had any problems with the amp at all and I absolutely love it. I should mention that I have re-valved it with Harma Cryo valves and have replaced the rectifier valve.

I do remember reading a post recently where it was noted that Mesa Boogie have fixed the Rectifier valve issue.

Fox

Thanks for all of the useful information. I would be buying the combo configuration, not the head.

I'm going to try out a LSS and also the Express for comparison but I'm leaning toward a LSS. It seems to be a really great amp. It's just going to be used at home so I certainly don't need anything more powerful.

Back