Lonestar head volume?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mojosteve

Reaction score
Hi all I'm new to this forum, I'm a proud owner of a Lonestar 100wat head but when I'm playing at gigs I need the output over half way and the solo volume even louder! I always ues the 100watt setting and both channel volumes are half way dont want to overdrive the fx loop. I love the tone of this amp but it seems quiet for a 100 watt boogie! I'm running the amp through a Blackstar 4x12 with vintage 30's at 4 ohms. Will I do harm to the amp pushing the main output volume even further, does anyone else push the volume of the Lonestar this much?

Cheers
Steve

Welcome Steve! Have never heard of this amp as problematically quiet, so something does seem weird there. I'm confused about the impedance match you describe... which output jack are you using, and what is the impedance rating of your cabinet?

The rule seems to be:
A mismatch between a lower output into a higher load (e.g., 4 ohm out > 8 ohm speaker load) is ok.
A mismatch between a HIGHER output into a LOWER load (8 ohm out > 4 ohm speaker load) is NOT OK.

So make sure your cabinet is correctly rated, and get it lined up with the right output. The wrong mismatch can damage your amp. The LSC's manual has a great breakdown on this.

Hey djw, yeah i checked that out too I think i'm matching it up ok, using the 4ohm out from the head to the 4ohm input to the cab. Wasn't sure if it was normal to run the output over the halfway point?

Ok, that's good.

So, it sounds like you have the Effects Loop engaged if you're using the Output and Solo controls. Where's the Send level at? I keep mine at about 2:00; you mentioned not wanting to overdrive the loop, which shouldn't be much of an issue actually -- unless you're using effects that require a lower input level. If that's the case, and you have the Send level lower than halfway, then yeah, you're attenuating your output quite a bit. Put your earplugs in and try disengaging the loop with the switch in the back, and see where your level is then... with the Masters up at 12:00 you should be LOUD.

If not, then I'd look at rotating your inner and outer power tubes and running at 50w (which will actually be fairly close to 100 in terms of pure volume). If one pair gives you noticeably more output, then you know the other is probably shot.

Cool, I never realised that the send in the loop had an effect on the over all volume. Will give that a try this afternoon! Thanks again for the help!!!

Steve

Latest posts

Back