Lonestar effect loop users

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokieboy

Reaction score
I'm looking for suggestions from current users of the effects loop on my Lonestar Classic. I'm looking to use my Wampler delay and Fulltone Choralflange in my effects loop and would like some advice on input / out put settings. I've read that there is additional gain when using the loop. My amp is currently down until I replace the speaker so I can't try the loop yet.
I thought I would get some current user advise.

Thanks
Brad
New Lonestar classic 112 combo owner

I have a Lonestar Special, but the loop circuitry is identical to your Classic. I use a Akai Headrush delay in the loop. I am using a 4 cable method, using a Hosa stereo cable to make the connection between the loop send/return and the delay in/out. This setup works very well. I personally perfer not to have chorus in the loop, but doing so would work great as well.

Because the Lonestar loop is a series loop, your entire signal passes through whatever you have in the loop, plus goes through all of the cable between the loop and the effects (in my case a 14 foot cable, or 28 feet round trip). That is something to consider if you are concerned about "tone suck". However, in practice, I have found only a very slight loss of high end when using the loop - noticeable while playing alone at home, but negligible in a band context. The loop is a tube buffered circuit, so the chance for high end loss due to cable capacitance is much less than the cable from your guitar to the amp (assuming you aren'y using active pickups).

As an experiment, I've used a true-bypass looper in the loop, with my delay in the bypass loop, to compare the effect of the delay in and out of the loop's signal path - just to satisfy my curiosity on how much running my signal through the Headrush was affecting my tone. I could hear no difference, which tells me the buffers in the non-true bypass Headrush are good quality. I think its a fair tradeoff for having your time-based effects in the loop, coming after any pre-amp gain or overdrive. Delay before overdrive always sounds bad to me.

It would be nice if the loop were switchable like the Mark V...there may be a mod to do that since the loop is controlled by a mini-toggle on the back. I haven't looked but if that mini switch is a SPST then it would be easy to put that on a footswitch. People have done this with the Drive switch and its an easy mod. You would have to perfectly balance the Output control such that switching the loop out would not change your overall volume as defeating the loop takes the Send Level, Output and Solo controls completely out of the circuit.

As far as settings (back to your main question), there isn't that much to it. I set the Send Level knob on the back of the amp to about 1 o'clock. It gives a slight boost to the signal, a little above unity gain. The Output knob on the front of the amp you can use as normal as an overall master volume. Basically, follow the instructions on pages 12-13 of the manual and you really can't go wrong.

Good luck and report back with your results! Lonestars are such great amps, and really well thought out in terms of practical gigging situations.

In regards to externally switching the effects loop, just tying into the switch on the rear panel isn't the best option. Remember that the Output and Solo controls are also activated by that switch.

I learned something recently with my setup described above. The manual clearly states that the channel Master knobs set the send level for the effect send, which I had forgotten. Well, I was playing the amp at a recording session and did not use the effect loop. While dialing it in, I set the clean channel Master at around noon for whatever reason. I normally keep it around 10 o'clock.

When I got it home, I put the delay back in the loop but left the control unchanged. I quickly realized the delay repeats were distorted, in a nasty way that sounded like digital distortion. Took me a few days to remember that the Master control acts as the send level. Once I turned it down the delay distortion went away. So there is a limit to how high you can turn up the Masters with effects that expect a instrument level input signal. Just something to keep in mind to avoid similar problems.

This would not likely be a problem if you put a rack unit in the loop, or an pedal effect that can handle line level inputs.

Latest posts

Back