Lonestar Classic with an attenator?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used attenuators in the past and like the Weber MASS and THD Hotplate. The Marshall Powerbrake is so-so. DrZ makes one that is pricey but has gotten really good reviews.

I've used the MASS with the LSC and it works nicely. It allows for some additional tone shaping as you cut the volume and does a good job of maintaining the tone at low levels. Of course, the air doesn't move the same at low levels, so there is a different feel to the listening.

Here's something I discovered about the Lonestar. If you engage the effects loop you can use it as a pretty good attenuator. I set the send level to 12 o'clock (back panel), but that can be used to further attenuate the signal. I don't have anything plugged into the send or return jacks, but did try a guitar cable once as a test but heard no difference.

With the loop egaged and send level set, I use the Output control for the loop on the front panel as the level control for the attenuator. I've tried it with lots of variation on the channel masters and drives and have found this to be a way to keep the tone and get it to home practice levels.

When I want to go to regular, I just bypass the loop with the back panel switch and I'm there adn don't have to touch anything on the front panel.

With the loop engaged it is said to cut a very small amount of the high end, but I really can't hear that.

The benefit is that I can use the solo option if I want to add that boost.

Quite frankly, I think this works about as good as the top end attenuators, and is already part of the amp - kind of a now cost option!. Give it a try and let me know what you all think.

Back