Lonestar Classic Questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeller

Reaction score
I just picked up a LSC and have a few questions I don't find addressed in the owners manual -

Does running it at 50 watt cut out two of the output tubes?
If so, wouldn't that cause uneven tube wear?
What are the sonic differences between 6L6 and EL34 in this amp?

Yes your tubes would probably benefit from a periodical rotation running in 50w that being the outside pair. Besides doing a search on the EL34 differences including a thread that is currently running on the subject....the sound change is subtle, with less bottom end fullness/bouncyness and more pronounced mids. It does not become a Marshall.

Edit: Hey Mike, just checked your bands web site....Nice! So are you lookin the go with the LSC as your main amp and why? Since you have an electra-dyne and a Mav.

Did you get the 1x12?

plan-x said:
Yes your tubes would probably benefit from a periodical rotation running in 50w that being the outside pair. Besides doing a search on the EL34 differences including a thread that is currently running on the subject....the sound change is subtle, with less bottom end fullness/bouncyness and more pronounced mids. It does not become a Marshall.

Edit: Hey Mike, just checked your bands web site....Nice! So are you lookin the go with the LSC as your main amp and why? Since you have an electra-dyne and a Mav.

Did you get the 1x12?

Thanks for the reply - and thanks for checking the website. Actually, my signature is out of date, I sold the Maverick. I have two ED's, a combo and a head that I use with a 2x12 vertical recto cab. I bought the head version because the combo was killing me moving it around.

I have the ED combo for sale locally and wanted a Lonestar SPECIAL because of the lower wattage I thought might be good for gigs that might benefit from less volume etc.

Guitar Center had a LS SPECIAL listed online at a store in Northern Ohio. I bought it and had it shipped to the Columbus store. When I picked it up last night and got it home and started looking at it, I quickly found out it as a LS-CLASSIC, not a special.

So now I am trying to decide if there is a benefit in keeping it since I have 30 days and can return it. I'd rather find use for the amp - love the blue tolex. Oh, and yes it is a 1-12

The LSC is one of the best Mesa amps made, period . On channel 2 make sure you have the bass almost completely rolled off . Maybe run it around 7:30 - 8:00 . Clean sounds (channel 1) are really nice . I have a Mark V but in my opinion the LSC has better cleans . Have you watched the Andy Timmons blog on the mesa site ? He gives some great insight to the LSC .

Latest posts

Back