Lonestar Classic Lead Channel Problem

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Janglin_Jack

Reaction score
I was at practice tonight and realized at one point I couldn't hear my guitar. I fiddled with some cables, etc and then discovered that the lead channel, would start out audible and then within 2-3 seconds, the volume just disappeared. I could switch to the clean channel and use pedals, but for some reason when I switch to the lead channel, You can hear the guitar for a few seconds and then it goes silent.

What can cause that type of failure??

Jack

Do you have the loop active or on bypass? And are any cables plugged into the loop jacks? Check out the thread in my post titled Lonestar Problem - no output. The problem you mention could be a bad preamp tube, but it may just be a dirty return jack for the loop.

Loop is bypassed and no cables. I change a cathode bypass cap a while back, mayube it has come loose.

Any other ideas?

Jack

Do you run the clean channel and 100W lead channel at 50W and have Rectifier tracking enabled?

Then it could be a bad Rectifier Tube, try setting the rectifier to "Diodes" if the problem goes away buy a new tube.

"Then it could be a bad Rectifier Tube, try setting the rectifier to "Diodes" if the problem goes away buy a new tube."

No, you wouldn't get any output at all if it were the Rec tube....the poster stated that there would be output initially then it would fade away. :wink:

I am going to pull the chassis and check the Cathode Bypass Cap that I changed, (most likely the problem). I will resolder and be sure there is good contact. Then I will check the preamp tube and then the rectifier.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Jack

Since I modified the cathode bypass cap, I was certain that is what it was. So I pulled the chassis and checked the solder joints. They looked fine, but I reheated them anyway. Put the chassis back and same problem. So I switched the rectifier to diodes, (as I was using 50w and tube rectified). That is what the problem was, bad rectifier tube.

That will teach me to check the easy stuff first. I could have saved about 15 min by flipping the switch. Good to know my soldering is better than I thought!!

Thanks guys,
Jack

Glad to hear its fixed, by the way, the fading out should have been a dead give away. Once you switched to the drive channel and the diodes were switched out it took a couple seconds for the B+ voltage to leak away. I'm gonna etch that into my memory.

Back