Lonestar Classic Compact

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timmerel

Reaction score
Anybody played a Lonestar Classic Compact - the one in the Mark series cabinet? Its a standard option at the same price as the 1 x 12. I need to decide whether to go for this format, the standard 1 x 12 or the 2 x 12. Two things I would like help on:

1. Sound - what does each sound like relative to the other?
2. Weight - what does each weigh?

If anybody knows of any sound clips, that would be even better.

I hadn't even heard of this model. I'm considering an LSC 1x12 so this is interesting. If you call Mesa, they will give you the info. Please share it if you do.

From one of the guys at Mesa:

1x12- the sound is surprisingly big, like a 2x12 (same size box). I prefer
the 1x12 - it has this kind of magic to it. (72 lbs.)

2x12- if you are a player that plays real heavy, with a lot of volume- I
suggest the 2x12. The 1x12 may not be enough for you. (81 lbs.)

1x12 Compact- Much tighter sounding than the others- less low end, due to the size of the box. Same electronics. (60 lbs.)

I called also and got the same info. I had been mistakenly told that the regular 1x12 was 60 lbs. so I was not happy to find out it's really 71. But it looks like that is the way I'll go. I don't want to give up any low end.

I will also think about getting a 1x12 cab later for biggger gigs.

I have the 1x12 with the big box.

Honestly I cant see why anyone would need the 2x12. The 1x12 sounds deep and huge. Maybe some guys in loud bands might benefit from a closed back 4x12 extention cab.

Then again maybe the compact would sound more like a MK series amp. Which could be cool.

I have the 1x12 and a 1x12 cab. LSS.

Huge sound. Works great for me.

Not the Special - the Lonestar Classic Compact - a Lonestar Classic in a Mark series cabinet (for those of us who like 6L6 but would like to lug 12 pounds less around).

More from Mesa:

"I would say that if you are replacing a Fender, then the 1x12 Widebody is the way to go. It really is my favorite of the LoneStars. The Compact is "tighter" in the way that there is less bass response, due to the smaller cab."

Guess I'll go for the 1 x 12, and sell the 65 Fender Twin Reissue.

I played both the 1x12 and 2x12 and found them very similar. i've always had 2x12 combos, so I went that way. It moves a bit more air, but I find that having the power split between 2 speakers tames the amp a little.

Bottom line, these amps sound so nice you really can't go wrong with any of the choices. I am actually thinking about buying the short cabinet adn a 2x12 extension cabinet. The great thing is that the chassis for the LSC is the same for all the versions of the amp and Mesa will sell you an empty case. I think the short head is $250 in the standard color.

Back