Lonestar Classic Cab Q

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarek88

Reaction score
I had a chance to play a LSC head with a Lonestar 4 x 10 cab and a Lonestar 2 x 12. The 4 x 10 was very interesting and generally very musical, but in a way I preferred the 2 x 12 because of the 'openess'. The 4 x 12 sounded more compressed, not in a bad way; just a little 'squashier'. I've been thinking about the Lone Star 4 x 12, but I'm not so sure about it. This is due to the simple fact that it is semi-open, and I don't want any fallbacks on the amazing clean tone it has with the 2 x 12.. So this in mind, would it be a better idea to get 2, 2 x 12 Lonestar speakers (either stacked or played on either sides of the stage [which would be very nice to have since this really brings out the best sound to the audience {more balanced}]) OR, the 4 x 12 which would sound alright? Thanks. (sorry for so many brackets before!)

OK...

I'm not completely sure what you're asking here but I ran a Lonestar live for over a year and what I ended up doing was using an oversized 212. That being said, if you want the ultimate I'd score two 112 theile cabs as you're going to get the best of cleans and dirt sounds that way. Any ported cab that's designed well will do it for you and I'd use a speaker like the EV or Eminence Delta Pro that'll give you a nice full frequency response with no breakup.

Hey thanks for answering. Why would that cab be best for cleans? Isn't that a closed cab? + the 1 x 12 won't have as much clean headroom as the Lone Star 2 x 12, will it not? I'd prefer having a REALLY good clean, and a good distortion than a good clean and a good distortion sound. What do you think?

tarek88 said:
Hey thanks for answering. Why would that cab be best for cleans? Isn't that a closed cab? + the 1 x 12 won't have as much clean headroom as the Lone Star 2 x 12, will it not? I'd prefer having a REALLY good clean, and a good distortion than a good clean and a good distortion sound. What do you think?

Actually, it's a ported 112 based on the EV 806 cab design. You load a 200w EV speaker in each and you won't be able to get those speakers to fart out. Plus, it'll sound enough like an open back to make your cleans really nice, but it'll be punchy and ballsy for your dirt sounds. You could get by with one as well just fine.

I use the a 2X12 recto horizontal and I really believe its the best cab Mesa offers, hands down . I'll go as far as saying as i think its one of the best cabs made period .

I wouldnt think any of the Mesa cabs are crap but They came up with a great tuned box with the 2X12 horizontal recto cab . You ever watched the Andy Timmons rig video on the mesa site ? Thats not why I bought mine but it gives you an idea of the cleans that can acheived using that cab .

Yea, andy timmons has an amazing clean in those clips, but always remember, ALL the gear he has is big bucks + the microphones recording the clip must be A* grade as long as some fine tuning in the studio, so I don't believe that that is the sound you will hear when its his guitar plugged straight into the Lone Star with recto 2 x 12s...

I really prefer the Lonestar cabs over any other cab that I've tried for the Lonestar.

I don't have a Lonestar anymore and am selling my Lonestar cab. PM me if you're interested.
http://www.forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=32694

It sounds really great, but I just don't use it anymore. It doesn't fit under my Ampeg head and all of my other amps are combos. :D Plus, I need the money to get some better Effects.

Back