LoneSar Classic (Old Style) vs LoneStar Special

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjlcc14

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
Trying to thin the herd here at the house.....i'm really torn on this one......both have great beautiful Hardwood Cabs....both are 1x12.....both sound awesome and have low hours.....I have a H&K Tri-amp that I play alot which I'm keeping. If you had to get rid of the Classic or the Special....which one would it be? Keep in mind....I play at my house only...no gigs!

I don't have an LSC, but from what I read here it has to be opened up a bit to really shine. Given that you'll be at the house all the time, doesn't that lead to keeping the LSS?

I suppose the counter might be that with yellow jackets the LSC can be considered slightly more versatile.

(For full disclosure, I'm completely happy with my LSS.)

Oh man, that's rough. Which do you you perfer? My LSC is loud as hell, and does need to be turned up to really shine. But It is more versital than the LSS (with the tube swaps and all).

I've played the Special and own the Classic. The Special is a great amp but in my humble opinion, keep the Classic. The Classic has just about everything going for it. 6L6, EL34 or 6V6's. Power to spare and a very stable platform.

cb101 said:
I've played the Special and own the Classic. The Special is a great amp but in my humble opinion, keep the Classic. The Classic has just about everything going for it. 6L6, EL34 or 6V6's. Power to spare and a very stable platform.

+1, and don't forget, Yellow Jackets EL84 to get close to the LSS tones. You can't go the other way with the LSS. Keep the LSC, it is supremely more versatile.

I'm alone in this but I would keep the LSS. I think you've got power & versatility covered with the Triamp. The LSS is less versatile the the Classic for sure, but personally I dig the LSS's vibe more. But I tend to like EL84's more than anything else.

Tuff call... I would have to say keep the LSS. I own the LSC, used and abused the "H" out of it, but always liked the LSS just a fuzz better than the big blue pig.

fishyfishfish said:
Tuff call... I would have to say keep the LSS. I own the LSC, used and abused the "H" out of it, but always liked the LSS just a fuzz better than the big blue pig.

It doesn't have to be that tough, honestly, with 4 EL84 Yellow Jackets, you are 98% in LSS land...with more clean headroom (the biggest complaint of the LSS).....or to keep it more versatile, put only 2 EL84 YJs on the outside sockets, and you've got both amps in one package.

Too bad this is not the new LSCs, it has the 10 watt Class A setting.....with EL84 YJs in there on that setting, you are truly in Class A EL84, LSS land.

One thing no one has posted yet is the reliability issue. the 1st Lss I had crapped out altogether so I got another new one and it blew the rectifier tube. Mesa sent me a new one rightaway but it crapped out the 1st time I gigged it. What a drag to get pumped about playing and your amp takes a dump !!So I took it back and picked up a Lsc 212 Finally a tone machine that is reliable!Now I can get on with picken the chicken!!

I'm convinced by these arguments. Anyone who would call it the "big blue pig" and would describe it as "picken the chicken" has got my vote. Go with the LSC! Well put my fellow Boogiers!

I pretty much say LSC 95% of the time, for all of the above reasons. In addition -- and I don't know what guitars you're using -- but I know firsthand that humbuckers sound great in the LSC, as do single coils. Maybe even better. I'm not convinced that the same is true for the LSS, which just sings with singles but I have not been as jazzed about with HBs.

Big blue pig. Ha ha!

If you like to tinker with stuff and would likely to swap power tube, and like it clean then the LSC. If you're the kind that spend alot of time to find your sweet spots and then leave it alone then keep the LSS.
For home playing, I live in that 5w or 10w mode. Can't do without it. But since your doesn't have the 10w mode, well ...

I tried both before buying the LSS. At that time the LSC was 50/100 and I just thought the LSS had a vibe I really liked. I never take mine out of the house and it is perfect for use at the levels I play at; (usually 30w for channel 1 and 5w for channel 2.

I have to admit, if the LSC had been out with the 10/50/100 I would have bought it and never looked back.

I guess many of us gravitate towards either the EL84 or the 6L6 if you have to choose. I think there might be more choices to get the LSC sound other places if you eventually add something less expensive. To me, the LSS is just very unique. It sounds way different than my Vox AC30 running EL84s too.

Having said all of this....I'd kkep the LSS.

Latest posts

Back