Lone Stars vs. Mark V

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeoBull

Reaction score
I have a Lone Star 'Classic', Lone Star Special, and an '84 Mkiic+. I also have a Dr. Z Maz 38 Sr which I never use and am going to sell. Would love some opinions on possible things to do:

-Keep what I got; Mark V doesn't add anything
-Sell the Dr. Z pony up some extra money: get a Mark V (tough one to run past my wife)
-Sell the Dr. Z, sell one of the Lone Stars (which one?): get a Mark V (probably a no extra money required deal)
-Sell the Dr. Z, sell both Lone Stars (theory = who needs 'em if I get a Mark V): get a Mark V (and pocket some money)

Something else?

Thanks in advance

I have a Mark V and an LSS and I do feel that they cross into each others territory.

What I like about the LSS is that it has that whole EL84 thing going on.... I love the way the cleans sound and feel on this amp, combined with the unique harmonics on the lead channel. Mated with a G12M (Greenback) loaded 4x12 and it's outstanding.

What I like about the Mark V is that it does almost everything else I need - clean, crunch, lead, fx loop, verb, solo boost - and it does it in a way that is extremely clear in a band mix. I also like that it sounds as excellent at home as it does with a band.

If I were in your shoes and I'd sell the LSC before the LSS, only because I feel that with the Mark V the LSC will be more redundant in terms of tone.

screamingdaisy said:
If I were in your shoes and I'd sell the LSC before the LSS, only because I feel that with the Mark V the LSC will be more redundant in terms of tone.

+1

I have both, the LSC being the newer purchase. Since it joined the backline options, I haven't hooked up the MKV. I can cover all the ground I want from the "easier to dial in" LSC with pedals, so for the time being, the MKV is taking an extended break.

When i can spend time dialing in my sound in CH3, the V will come into it's own, so I'm keeping both. The LSC is loaded with stock 6L6's and the MKV with EL34 WC's, which broadens the mix more for what I want, but the LSS + MKV option may work better for you

Latest posts

Back