Lone Star Special Master Volume Question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fHumble fHingaz

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new here, & I have a question regarding the final master volume control on my wonderful new Lone Star Special.

Having had many other amps - various Marshalls, a Fender & a THD, usually the setup is that the master volume simply increases or decreases the volume level of the power amp section.

Of course, with the Lone Star Special, when I set each channel's individual master volume high it introduces output-stage overdrive. This is logical, but what I don't understand is how, when I decrease the final overall volume control, this same sound & feel appears retained even at a very low actual volume.

I am familiar with power attenuators - is this something along those lines or a different setup? Am I simply imagining things or is there a technical explanation? (By the way- I really like this - great tone at a low volume!)

Thanks

I have not seen the schematic, but I suspect that the MV comes AFTER the phase inverter. This way, the phase inverter gets driven hard and can introduce some compression and distortion even at low power amp output.

Latest posts

Back