Lone Star Special Lead Tones...Suggestions??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lespaul72

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum and purchased my first Mesa, a LSS 1x12. While I love the versatility of this amp and wide range of tones, I'm just not getting the sustain for leads.
I don't know if a tubescreamer, microamp, eq pedal might work.

I apologize in advance if this topic has already been covered, but it's starting to become a little troublesome..

Any pedals or settings that might help me?
Thanks...

That's exactly what I'm using right now... Before I got the LSS , I was gigging with Fender Deville using the "Jekyll" as my overdrive sound and punching the "Hyde" for leads/ solos...
But the tone and color of the pedal has changed greatly with this amp. What are your setting with your LSS?

Well, I just got the pedal and the first time I used it with my Lonestar Classic was when I changed over to el34s and burnt something up inside the amp :x

I tried it with the LSS a little but the amp sounded better without it :?:

You have to CRANK the LSS.

My only suggestion, is to never set the drive control to be greater than the gain control. Also ease off the presence and treble when going for extreme gain.

Remember though, this amp will never achieve a Mark IV or Recto levels.

brianf

Here's what I use for Channel 2 - appox:

Drive - 12noon
Gain - 2:00
Treble - 2:30ish
Mid - 11:00ish
Bass - 9:00
Presence - 11:00ish

Drive to "Thickest" setting

lespaul72 said:
I'm new to the forum and purchased my first Mesa, a LSS 1x12. While I love the versatility of this amp and wide range of tones, I'm just not getting the sustain for leads.
I don't know if a tubescreamer, microamp, eq pedal might work.

I apologize in advance if this topic has already been covered, but it's starting to become a little troublesome..

Thanks...

What kind of guitar are you playing? And are you using channel 2 with the drive engaged? I have high output pickups in my G&L so it hits the amp pretty hard, but frankly to get the endless sustain thing, the amp really needs its power section opened up - I have found no great lead tones at lower volumes. It gets a much more sustain and much more aggressive sounding on Ch. 2 when you turn that ******* up!

I tried the LSS and the LSC althought the cleans were great... as good as my 65 Deluxe Reverb the high gain just wasn't there... You won't get it with a TS either. I took em both back and got a MKIV A drier sounding amp that you can wetten up with a nice delay/reverb unit through the effects loop. I was very disappointed Mesa didn't put some scream into the Lone Star series. Actually one of the nicest high gain OD.Distortion boogies is the F30! I just wanted more toys so I got the MKIV.

lespaul72 said:
Thanks...

I have quite a few pedals, and the ones I like best
with this are the Keeley Java Boost, a modded Blues Driver
then the TS 808

which translates to the cleaner the boost the better,
it will sustain forever with the pedals
sustains OK without

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it.

Bluebones,
I'm using a Gibson Les Paul Standard and a Gibson SG standard. I'm finding exactly what you said, you have to REALLY crank this amp.
When I first got it, I was under the impression . being such a low wattage potential, I would be able to do the "living room practice" thing and low, low volumes.
Needless to say, I almost took the amp back, I thought channel 2 and low volumes, on any watt settting, was horrible.
It wasn't until I cranked this thing and it began to sing that I fell in love with it.

lespaul72 said:
Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it.

Bluebones,
I'm using a Gibson Les Paul Standard and a Gibson SG standard. I'm finding exactly what you said, you have to REALLY crank this amp.
When I first got it, I was under the impression . being such a low wattage potential, I would be able to do the "living room practice" thing and low, low volumes.
Needless to say, I almost took the amp back, I thought channel 2 and low volumes, on any watt settting, was horrible.
It wasn't until I cranked this thing and it began to sing that I fell in love with it.

Yeah, and I've found that the 5 watt setting for channel 2 is practically useless. Just no bite there at all - not good enough even cranked. The 5 watt setting clean is freakin' sublime though.

I was hoping for great low vol leads on channel two myself with the 5 watts, but I tend to keep it on 15 there for quiet practice and loud playing both. Definitely something I can live with as its the only real drawback to this amp!

Back