Lone Star Classic : Missing Features

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoTheDo

Reaction score
MB did a great job with the Lone Star amp. I'm certainly happy with my purchase. But I notice a few areas that could be improved with this amp.

Firstly, I'm not sure about having two reverb level controls. What's the point here? I usually leave my verb on the same amount for both channels. The 3 second delay when switching channels is a tad annoying.
Other than not having enough room on the front panel why they stick the reverb knobs behind the amp?

It would be great to have switching for the effects loop. For example, you could have a bypassed signal on the clean channel for rhythm, then have some delay, flange or chorus in the loop assigned to the gain channel for soloing.

Why does the solo boost require that the effects loop be engaged?

Lastly, I find the knob labels really hard to read, especially on darkened stage. I hate fumbling around in the dark looking for my Mid knob. I guess I'll have to memorize the knob locations.

Other than the above (all of which I've learnt to live with) Mesa Boogie have built a really great amp.

3 second delay? as in 1 mississippi, 2 mississippi 3 m?.....take the thing back, it's broken or the footswitch is.

DoTheDo said:
MB did a great job with the Lone Star amp. I'm
certainly happy with my purchase. But I notice a few areas that could be improved with this amp.

Firstly, I'm not sure about having two reverb level controls. What's the point here? I usually leave my verb on the same amount for both channels. The 3 second delay when switching channels is a tad annoying.

Other than the above (all of which I've learnt to live with) Mesa Boogie have built a really great amp.

TheRazMeister said:
3 second delay? as in 1 mississippi, 2 mississippi 3 m?.....take the thing back, it's broken or the footswitch is.

Maybe it's more like 2 seconds, but it's definately noticeable. The reverb is designed to shut off for a short period when you switch channels. It's built in to every Lone Star. It's a feature not a bug. ;-)

More on the Lone Star reverb thing. This is a quote from a Guitar Player Magazine (Oct 2004) review of the Lone Star.

"The only thing that may be strange for some players is that a timed mute with delay kills the reverb for about three seconds when you switch between channels. Boogie patented this feature to prevent “ reverb backwash” when, say , switching from a raging lead tone to a rhythm setting. While this makes perfect sense—as it prevents situations where “ghosted” reverberant notes from your solo make all kinds of mess around your very sensitive verse melody—some of the GP editors weren’t comfortable with the reverb going away and then sneaking back." GP October, 2004.

My bad....I thought you meant the channel switch from clean to dirty...still, I'm not sure I understand the point of the delay. If I have a reverb setting, I want that setting immediately....

DoTheDo said:
TheRazMeister said:

Maybe it's more like 2 seconds, but it's definately noticeable. The reverb is designed to shut off for a short period when you switch channels. It's built in to every Lone Star. It's a feature not a bug. ;-)

TheRazMeister said:
My bad....I thought you meant the channel switch from clean to dirty...still, I'm not sure I understand the point of the delay. If I have a reverb setting, I want that setting immediately....

I agree. I have no idea why the reverb mute (read: delay) is there. But it's annoying. Maybe it has something to do with the separate channel reverb control. Perhaps if there was only one reverb control (same verb for both channels) there wouldn't be a need for mute?

This amp was made to appeal to all. Thats the reason for two verbs. I dont use Reverb on my dirty sounds so I keep it off on channel 2. If there was one knob I couldnt do that.

The Delay as stated above is there so you dont extend your distorted reverb sound into your clean sound while channel switching.

As far as the Delay you should here a Marshall TSL delay. I dont have a problem with it and I play Rythem & Lead guitar with no other guitar in our band while singing lead and backing vocals. Eveything is done on the fly and it works for me.

The Lonestar has some features I dont use but its ment to please many not a few.

Its a Great amp all around.

I'd like to have the Channel 2 gain on the footswitch. I like the more extreme drive that adds and would like to be able to kick it in without having to amble over to the combo and flick a swich.

The more I play my LSC, the more I like it.

Anyone ever compare it to a Road King?

Latest posts

Back