LOG Ashes of the Wake tone

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rabies said:
can you get it with Mark V? that album is sick man. I had the DVD (killadelphia) now the album. sounds like 4x6L6.
you can somewhat get it with the Mark IV, I'd say that more so than you would the Mark V but you gotta remember- ashes is bas heavy, and the way they record their stuff is drums/bass out front.

You take away that aspect and their sound is very thin.

Agree with Elixir's post. Plus, remember that there's quite a bit of "studio magic" thrown in there for Ashes (or any album by anyone for that matter). Live, both Mark & Willie also use dbx compressors which add boost, warmth, flavor, etc... to the stock IV sound. Additionally, Mark uses 2 MIV's along with an MXR GT-OD boost pedal (for solos only I think). Other factors play into the overall sound as well, but from an amp perspective they aren't running those things flat-out stock.

Can the V do those tones? Who knows... gotta wait until the heads start shipping to some folks who strive for that sound and have a similar setup. I'm one of those, but am content with my IV right now. Just MHO.

I'm pretty sure it'll get a good metal tone. People just haven't messed with it yet. And if you listen to the singular guitar tracks (ie without bass or drums) on Ashes, it's a very thin/crunchy sounding guitar rather than thick and boomy like the CD sounds. The bass and drums do add a lot to that.

rabies said:
See the thinness of the Mark IV was always unattractive to me and one reason I eventually sold it...

If you love LOG so much why would you sell it? It's going to be the only way you can even come close to a majority of their sound.I sold my Mark IV, the thinness bothered me too. But now if you had someone else with a Mark IV and you guys could layer the sound like LOG does then BAM!

Though, most of As the Palaces Burn were Duel Recs on Vintage I believe. So, you could do it with a Rec if you like.

Mark Morton used two Mark IVs, one with el34s and oen with 6l6s, both running at same time to record ashes. For Sacrament he used a Mark IV with 6l6s with a stiletto (el34s).

Latest posts

Back