Little Mesa for Santana tone

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marco78

Reaction score
Hi boys, what is the little Mesa (20-30 W) more suitable for Carlos Santana tone?

tnx

The only low wattage Mesa amp I can even think of is the Express, but I don't think of that amp as a Carlos Santana amp. When I think Santana I think of the Mark 1.

Elpelotero said:
The only low wattage Mesa amp I can even think of is the Express, but I don't think of that amp as a Carlos Santana amp. When I think Santana I think of the Mark 1.

Mark 1 is 100 W... too loud for me!

kartoffel said:
or there's the dc2 or 3

The only option? Is similar to mark 1?

I have a Studio Cal 22+ with graphic EQ, and it can be tweaked to "kinda" sound like the Mark 1, but part of the Mark 1 sound is the fact that it is a 100watt amp. Not to mention the preamp is not the same either.

It would seem only the more expensive and higher powered Mark series is truly going to sound anything like the way you want. Having said that, I have heard claims the Lonestar crosses into Mark 1 territory in some settings, but I have not tried it, personally.

Good luck in your quest! :)

Dual Calibers are your best bet.

The DC-2 or DC-3 will get you pretty close.

2nd best would be a 22 or 22+

The 50 Cal + gets very very close too. Probably identical, if I tried harder to find it. I know it's in there, somewhere. The guy I bought mine off of only bought it to use in his recording studio to replicate the Santana vibe for 1 project, and then sold it (lucky me!).

I bet any of the old/early mark series or caliber series could suffice. I can't imagine it NOT being there..somewhere, between 0 and 10.

Stephen

TNX Boyz!! The DC-5 or 50 cal use the same tubes (6l6) but it is too loud for my home and in Italy cost a lot (800-1000 €)..

What do you think of Mesa Boogie Son of Boogie 60 W? Is similar to Mark 1? I have find it at good price (550 €) but I have read that is the worst Mesa...

I don't want use any pedal, only amps and guitar!

The SOB or plain Boogie/Mark 1 is what Santana used(uses). Which is what the Mark/Caliber line is based on. And a 50 cal is only 50 watts instead of 100. SOB should be louder, but a more correct replica if you can't get a Mark 1.

http://www.santana.com/carlos/gear.aspx

The 'Santana model' according to an early 70's advert I have hanging on the wall is a 100W Mark I with either an EV or Altec speaker, without EQ but with reverb. Just go for a 60W version of that amp. Hell, go for a 100W model - they're all switchable.

I'd go for that rather than an S.O.B. I have a '77 Mark I which has Carlos by the shedload.

Complete the look with a Big Muff, medallion and tasty 70's moustache.

The SOB at good price is sold yesterday evening. :(

the Mark V cost 2500 € in Italy and I don't have to much money..

Subway Rocket, Studio22(+). Get you in the ballpark w/a little tweaking.

Mk-1's dont have to run at 100w.
I run mine in the 60w position, on the "Tweed" setting and in the 4-Ohm speaker jack and it is more like 40watts.
I love the tone too.
It's a little Fender-y and 'sponge-y' and still sounds like a Boogie.
Check out my videos on YouTube. Search "Randy Nations - Morning Groove".
Its a Heritage 535 and that very amp setup.

Hope it helps!!

Latest posts

Back