Line out with a F-50

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Alright, I'm thinking about getting an F-50 but I have a question about live playing. It will probably be better for me to put it into the PA system and I'm pretty sure you can do that, but does that affect the sound? Does it sound bad or does it sound ok?

i wouldn't run it direct. from what i have gathered from the smart people from this board, the direct out will not go through the power tubes, and obviuosly the speaker. so you are only gonna get 1/3 the sound. the f-50s cleans are so awesome man, i think it would be a dis-service. mic that bad boy up and let 'er go man. thats my advice. if you don't have the capabilities for that, maybe try and power attenuator to a H&K redbox pro then direct in. at least then you'll get power tubes in the mix.

keep rockin' bee-ond.

beyondthislife said:
Alright, I'm thinking about getting an F-50 but I have a question about live playing. It will probably be better for me to put it into the PA system and I'm pretty sure you can do that, but does that affect the sound? Does it sound bad or does it sound ok?
I've always miced my F-100 at gigs and it sounds really good as long as the sound man knows what he's doing.

The recording output is pretty blah as far as I'm concerned for overdriven sounds. It sounds okay for clean stuff.

Crap. My "gigs" do not include a good sound man really so micing doesn't seem like it would be an available option. I have a POD XT Live right now that I go direct into the sound board and it's alright, but the cleans aren't too great and it's kinda hard to get a mid-gain sound out of it. I played an F-50 the other day and loved it but if I can't get it to sound good live then I might not be able to justify the purchase.

never!
I repeat
never!
run a guitar amp direct if you can help it
the speaker tone is 1/2 or more of your sound
just my opinion.......

beyondthislife said:
Crap. My "gigs" do not include a good sound man really so micing doesn't seem like it would be an available option. I have a POD XT Live right now that I go direct into the sound board and it's alright, but the cleans aren't too great and it's kinda hard to get a mid-gain sound out of it. I played an F-50 the other day and loved it but if I can't get it to sound good live then I might not be able to justify the purchase.
Well, the F-series is no different from any other tube amp. You don't have to mic the amp at a small gig, but if you want people to hear you across the sound stage, micing is the only way. An SM-57 properly placed near the amp's speakers, then direct to the board is the de facto standard for guitar amp reinforcement.

i would mic it up, and during sound check have someone else play it and go back there by the sound man and "help" him out a little. An f-50 mic'ed halfway correct is gonna sound better than a PODxt any day. not only that but you'll hear the f-50 directly and that give and take relationship between you and the amp will inspire you and you'll have more fun and enjoy it more. thus, justifying a reason to plunk the coin.

go for it man :lol:

BENNY said:
i would mic it up, and during sound check have someone else play it and go back there by the sound man and "help" him out a little. An f-50 mic'ed halfway correct is gonna sound better than a PODxt any day. not only that but you'll hear the f-50 directly and that give and take relationship between you and the amp will inspire you and you'll have more fun and enjoy it more. thus, justifying a reason to plunk the coin.

go for it man :lol:

Man...I really want to. When I get back to school I'm gonna check with the sound guy and see if we have the equipment/ability to do so. If we do, I'm gonna move on buying the F-50

well keep an eye out cause the rumor is that boogie is dicontinuing the F-series. that means good blow out prices at G.C. i missed buying a Mark IV for 999.99 and then i droped the ball on a stielletto for 899.99. i still haven't forgiven myself yet. i'm not gonna botch this one.

BENNY said:
well keep an eye out cause the rumor is that boogie is dicontinuing the F-series. that means good blow out prices at G.C. i missed buying a Mark IV for 999.99 and then i droped the ball on a stielletto for 899.99. i still haven't forgiven myself yet. i'm not gonna botch this one.
Does G.C usually just automatically discount the prices or do I have to bust out some good ol' hagglin' skills? If so...tips?

they'll tell you. just call them up and ask for the manager in guitars, cause usually he is the only smart one, and say "hey, i heard that mesa boogie is discontinuing the f-50 do you have any of those you are trying to blow out" if he says that they aren't blowing them out, call next week. they only know what they are told. we know more than they do. eventually he'll say yes. even if they don't have any there he can get you one from another store.

Back