Like new Mk-IIb

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LesCarr

Reaction score
I picked up a Amp. on eBay cost me 800 its like new not a ding, scratch dent, no dirt no corrosion whatsoever almost no dust in chassis. I think i got a good buy considering its physical condition externally it sounds very nice but one small problem I get a pop when i pull out the lead drive knob and a little noise at high volumes with no input i.e. guitar. So is it really a Mk IIb or is the serial number lying the pop was a characteristic of the Mk-IIa yes?. I called MESA and they said to bring it in for a checkup anybody got any Mods. recommended? 8)

Bring it to "Ashbury and Haight St" Music (is that what its called? I haven't been in SF for a while), they're an Authorized M/B dealer. Or drive up to Petaluma to M/B company.

Mods ... maybe have Mike Benedelli (M/B's chief Tech) modify the effect loop, it helps out the reverb because the reverb of Mark IIB sounds a bit "bouncy".

Since I was raised on Fenders (pre and CBS Fenders), of all the Mark Series, I like the Mark II best. They don't have the cool bells and whistle like the Mark III and IV but for me the Mark II is easy to obtain just the right blend of drive.

The Mark III and IV you could get a good over-saturated drive but that's not my cup of tea for a Mark Series.

I'm not trying to knock Mark III, IV. I find them excellent amps and more refined like the auto-EQ, extra channel in the rhythm channel, improved effect loop etc ... it's that I almost traded my Mark IIB for a Mark III in the mid 80's but after trying out the Mark III, I changed my mind. I did not need that much drive and was more pleased with my Mark II.

I know I'm in the minority in liking Mark II over its predecessor Mark III and Mark IV, but its just me.

Have you changed the preamp tubes yet.?The input is shorted to ground when there is no inst. plugged in. Maybe the jack needs to be bent back to repair the short necessary to not send any signal to the V1. The pop may be the circuit under no load and no signal short to ground. I use a guitar cord oushed halfay in while the chassis is out and bend the shorting tab left towards the jack. I then check it for continuity with a meter. If it beeps, its grounded, if not bend it to the left more. You get a l lot of noise if this is not functioning as the V1 is still sending the signal through the preamp and then to the power amp and this amplifies everything. When it works correctly you should hear only a bit of power amp hiss.

Latest posts

Back