Lexicon MPX G2. Views.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdomain

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone could recommend the Lexicon MPX G2 as an fx unit to run with my Mesa Rec Pre and power amp. I'm trying to find a good unit that can let you choose various fx both pre and post your preamp.

Thanks for any help.

I swear you're a sponsor for Rocktron you GMajor hater you. :lol:

Which Rocktron model can do the routing of fx before and after the preamp(fx loop)

I'm pretty sure the xpression can't. Correct?

Which Rocktron model can do the routing of fx before and after the preamp(fx loop)

I'm pretty sure the xpression can't. Correct?[/quote]

I didint understand what you wanting to do !
Could you explain it please ?

I want a unit which is able to run certain fx before my Mesa Rec Pre and after my Mesa Rec Pre. Some units have an effects loop which can be adjusted to anywhere in the fx chain or preset algorithms which accomodate this feature.

Hope that makes sense :?

Yep it made sense but I think it is useless ( at least for me ).
Before pre only compression and wah.
So why complicate it ?
Put a wah and compressor before your pre and a rocktron intellifex or xpression after your pre.
Im not judging you but some guys here forget that fx is to colorate sound not to rule everything,I mean guitar + ampli (or pre) should be 99% of the sound.
Fx are like women s make-up too much and you ll look like a freak. ( every hollywood star ).
huahuahuahuauhauhauhua
That was funny
huahuhahauhauhuahuahuah

After lots of reading though; to maintain that guitar and amp tone, this is the best way to do it. I don't want separate pedals at my feet. I'd rather a universal controller which can do everything and the pleasures of programability.

I've already got fx units which I can run before or after the preamp but not both. .... rack space is precious 8)

Pity the Boss GT8 Pro sucks tone as this would fit the bill. You can change everything around in the FX chain on that unit.

Ciao ...

I use a Lexicon G2 with my Road King II and I can assure you it's excellent. No Rocktron can compare, IMHO. :)
Sometimes I use it in front of the amp and sometimes in the fx loop, it depends on how I wake up in the morning. :D

Excellent. Thanks for your input Dr V. Are there any other units with a similar architecture apart from the G2 and GT8?

After much reading :? I'm starting to veer away from the G2 due to the patch changes being sluggish and the lack of spill-over fx. Apart from that, It would be an excellent unit it seems.

So does anybody know of any other single space racks which allow fx before AND after your chosen preamp?

Thanks.

What I have found is that it's easy to over complicate your setup by going crazy with FX processors that run before and after the preamp, then have MIDI controls and all the other bells and whistles. That's half the reason I gave the GT-8 the boot.

Ciao ...

rdomain said:
So does anybody know of any other single space racks which allow fx before AND after your chosen preamp?

Thanks.

There are two worth considering:

BOSS GT-Pro (2 rack spaces)
http://www.musicplayers.com/reviews/guitar_bass/2006/0306_BOSSGTpro.php

TC Electronic G-System (1 rack space when taken from the foot controller unit)
http://www.musicplayers.com/reviews/guitar_bass/2006/0106_tcelectronicgsys.php

I don't know of any other products currently on the market with this ability.

Scott

It's a shame that this area of the market seems to be neglected. I've been using a programmable preamp/processor for so many years that moving to the Rec Pre seems almost archaic esp with patch changing.... Unless I had something like the Gsystem to link it all up :?

$$

I might go with the G major so that will solve the channel switching and post fx and I'll worry about the pre fx later.

I have a G-Major in my rack and it has served me very well for delays, chorus, and reverb. You could buy two of them and put one in front of the amp, but honestly, a real wah pedal and other modulation effects from pedals would sound better in front of the Rec Pre, and then use the G-Major in the FX loop.

After reading the GT8 review; that sounds like something I could be happy with. Just some people on this forum complain about tone suck from this unit where as others are quite happy with it.

I think you'll find that with virtually every product out there, especially multi-fx units, for everyone who says it's clean there's someone else who will insist that it's a tone sucker.

But it varies based on situation/scenario. Case in point -- the Line 6 DL-4 Delay Modeler pedal that I reviewed. It has great vintage analog delay sounds, but the unit has some of the tone suckage that people talk about... but it is only noticeable in certain scenarios. The DL-4's processing of your sound does leave a sonic blueprint... if placed in front of your amp or in a series effects loop. But if you put it in a parallel FX loop, where you can externally control the mix between unprocessed and processed sound, you won't hear any such problem.

When using something like the GT Pro, just be careful about your gain stages and wet/dry FX mixes. There are lots of places in the signal chain where you can add noise or color your sound inadvertently, but you should be able to keep a beautiful Mesa/Boogie tone as the dominant part of your tone and apply the effects suitably to taste. Also, if you use something like this, turn off the amp modeling and cabinet simulator effects unless you're purposely going for a very processed sound and just use it for a virtual collection of BOSS pedals in one box.

You'll hear quickly enough if your tone sounds good or bad through it. And if someone else says "oh, well that product sucks tone" and you don't hear it sucking your tone, then don't worry about it. Be happy with your gear and your sound and just worry about playing the best music you can.

:D

I had horrible tone suck with GT-8. Plus, when trying to use the "4CM" (four cable method) to put some effects in front of the pre-amp and the time-based ones in the loop, I got horrible hiss with high gain settings with my MK IV and Triaxis. I've been using multiFX since DSP-16 and GSP-5 days and could never dial it out. Some people have no problem using 4CM, however.

Or even a lesser rack like the G Minor or Xpression for pre but like you said; some stomp boxes might be best.

Latest posts

Back