Lets Talk Wireless!!!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AtownBcat

Reaction score
I am considering getting a wireless unit for my guitar. I know that there are some guys who believe they rob you of some tone. What do you think? I think if you are playing some types of music i could see that. But im playing modern hard rock/metal and i can't belive that either the dual rec or bogner uber would lose anything using a wireless system. That being said which ones are you using and would recomend/not recomend...
ryan

I find it hard to believe that a good wireless robs tone, since some of the big-name pros use them.

Harder to say about the less expensive stuff... :?

The X2 or the Sennheriser Digital 1000 (old out of production). They are basically the same technology designed by the same person. Sound just as good as a cable.

http://www.x2digitalwireless.com/index.htm

Is the ONLY way to go.

Period.

Best guitar wireless available and very affordable.

Sennheiser ew 100

I've been using it for that past year with great results. Great signal strength, metal construction, never any interferance or problems of any kind and I can not detect any tone loss. Costs around $500. Stay away from the cheap units. They do not sound very good and compress the sound too much for my taste. I've played with guys with el cheapos and they were always having trouble with them.

Checkout the reviews on Harmony Central.

Sound is one thing, feel is another.

Ultimate feel requires real physics which digital can't emulate yet.

If feel isn't important, then use all the digital gear you want.

Ok that may be over my head....but imo the physics involved is in your hands to your guitar and how the tube amp interprets that..weather you are using cable or a digital wireless system is that not simply a transport for the information? I mean cable does not add to what you are playing, it simply relays it.....am i right?

I can't notice any difference in tone or feel with my Sennheiser ew 100 when playing live. Cheap units I can tell a difference but not decent ones. As with anything you've got to weigh the good with the bad. For me the only bad is if I'm not paying attention to my battery level, it goes dead and I loose signal in the middle of a song. Very embarrassing.

As we use to say in the 70's, if it feels good, do it. Don't know if that's the best advise for everything but should be safe for musical gear.

Mr_You said:
Sound is one thing, feel is another.

Ultimate feel requires real physics which digital can't emulate yet.

If feel isn't important, then use all the digital gear you want.
Well, I believe there aren't issues with hi-fi digital conversions (if the wireless system does its job right), think audio CDs... then when digital technology is used not just to convert but also to create and shape a guitar tone ( :roll: ...line6... :roll: ), well... I'm with you, but that's all another thing to me

Well, for one thing, most wireless units aren't digital (unless I'm way out of date). They use either very high frequency (VHF) or ultra high frequencies (UHF) to take an analog signal and transfer it...much like a radio station does (unless it's HD), only at a higher range. So, a good quality unit will have a better signal transfer than any cable will, theoretically.

All wireless other than the X2 or the Senn Digital 1000 compress the signal then expand it again which causes sound degradation. The X2 technology doesn't use "squish" the signal and therefore is the closest you'll get to using a cord.

I have actually RECORDED in a high-end studio using the X2 and the tone was absolutely crystal clear. Actually CLEARER than a cable because no capacitance.

MJ Slaughter said:
Sennheiser ew 100

I've been using it for that past year with great results. Great signal strength, metal construction, never any interferance or problems of any kind and I can not detect any tone loss. Costs around $500. Stay away from the cheap units. They do not sound very good and compress the sound too much for my taste. I've played with guys with el cheapos and they were always having trouble with them.

Checkout the reviews on Harmony Central.

+1 for the Sennheiser ew series. Love mine!

Good luck with the x2

the x2 rack mount is the best there is, no compression, no eq addtions.
while i like my G2 senn i wish the X2 was available at the time. got the G2 right before X2 came out.

as for the remark on capacitance, look at old classic tones, the cap loss that caused the loss of highs for hendrix, page, SRV were all WANTED, they never played without a coiled cord.. the are plenty of situations that this was not KNOWN as to why back then, but they knew it sounded better with the coiled cords, SRV was in the studio and was setup with a straight high quality cord and **** a brick about how bad it sounded, someone ran out and eded up at radio shack and got him a cheap *** coiled one along with a bunch of other cords, guess which one he chose so that he was happy again, thats right the crappy ratshack coiled one...
The reactence of the the coils can change your tone for sure. in fact i still use one in the last stage of my rig to the amp input.. but not in my loop sections

Back