Learn from my mistake

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanceen

Reaction score
My LSS had been sounding a little below par. Not terrible, mind you, but there seemed to be a lack of headroom. Also, it didn't seem as bright as usual; I had to keep tweaking up the treble.

So I decided to put in new power tubes to spruce it up a bit.

I turned it around and found that the middle two EL84's had come out of their sockets and were hanging by the brackets! I'm not sure how this happened, but I'm guessing that it was due to pulling pedals and stuff out of the back of the amp when I brought it back from the last time I played out, a few weeks ago. I was surprised at first that the 30w setting would work without the middle tube, but I remembered that you can pull out tubes to reduce power as long as a pair remains - and as long as it's the right tubes that come out.

So I just straightened the pins and put the tubes back in.

Now it sounds fantastic again. I remember why I like this amp so much.

Great reminder

I came back to my LSC this weekend after being on the road for a while, and it sounded shrill and expressionless. Thought it could have been my ears, but I'm now going to check round the back to make sure all is as it should be

Latest posts

Back