Lack of EQ

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After reading these posts I went to my amp (5:25) and started messing with the EQ. I still don't get the folks saying the EQ is not very active. Maybe it's just me, and I'll admit I haven't played a lot of amps, but I can coax several different sounds out of mine, even on the Burn Channel.

JMHO, YMMV,

TW

I forgot to mention I have owned several Fenders, a Mesa: Mark IV, DC-3, DC-5, Mark IIB and currently own a Lone Star Special.

I sold the Mark IIB because I quite playing for around a decade. The DC-3 because I didn't like EL-84 amps at the time. The DC-5 because I couldn't get a good crunch sound out of it (until I sold it-I wish I still had that amp). I sold the Mark IV because I couldn't get any good bedroom sounds out of it and it needed to be loud.

Anyway, I really like my 5:25 but would upgrade if the plus series sounds better.

TW

"After reading these posts I went to my amp (5:25) and started messing with the EQ. I still don't get the folks saying the EQ is not very active."

I don't think anyone said anything about the 5:25 series not having an active EQ, quite the contrary, I think most folks who have a 5:25 find the EQ section to be very responsive.
Those of us who have tone issues have 5:50s. Contrary to popular opinion, they are not the same amp. The 5:25s are EL84 amps while the 5:50s are 6L6 amps, and unless the folks at Mesa are wrong, even the circuitry is different.

Interesting side note, found a guy playing a 5:25 at the local guitar bar on open mic night. Had a good visit and got to take his rig around the block a few times. His 5:25 was quite different than my 5:50, and the EQ section was indeed very responsive, and it was a bone stock amp.

Talk to another 5:50 owner in GC Saturday, and he added +1 to the EQ in the effects loop cure. GC didn't have the EQ I was looking for, so I ordered one on-line. Will report back once we run it around the barn a few times.

Regards
Larry

lbrusso said:
"
Contrary to popular opinion, they are not the same amp. The 5:25s are EL84 amps while the 5:50s are 6L6 amps, and unless the folks at Mesa are wrong, even the circuitry is different.
Larry

The preamp circuit which contains the tone stack (eq controls) is identical on the 5:50 and the 5:25. The tone controls on both amps behave exactly the same. Only the power amp circuits are different between the two.

Latest posts

Back