KT77s Tube Kit question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fama

Reaction score
Has any Stiletto Ace Head owners tried JJ KT77s ?
I'm very happy with the stock Mesa tube set up but.... it could use some more low end. Its not that important but.... could it get better than the stock tube set up I have now? Eurotubes says that there JJ KT77 will deliver chuck and scorch with a big low end. I like how the wording sounds and my ace has that chunk and scorch tone already but... some more low end... would be nice.

Mesa Stiletto Ace Head
4-12 Stiletto Cab V-30
68 RI Les Paul Custom

Honestly, for more lowend, best results will come from an EQ in the loop.

My buddy bought some jjkt77s a while ago for his recto. had em for a week and sold them to me. I put them in my randall RM100. Didnt like them. There is something funny sounding about them. Theyre not very Hi Fi sounding. There is lowend to be had but not a huge amount.

About 6 months ago I was having a conversation with this local old-timer amp guru dude. My KT77 story came up. He said to me,"if the KT77's are so great, how come more amp builders dont use them?"

I know thats not a cut and dry answer to the question, but its not a bad way to look at it.

Stick to what works. EL34's and 6L6's. And seriously...try the EQ in the loop.

My $.02

If you want to swap tubes for more low end, I'd look at the EL34L's or something along those lines. I had the KT77's in my Recto and I had a hard time deciding if I liked them or not. If you have money to blow, give it a shot. But that analogy from droptrd makes a lot of sense. It's all really about what sounds good to your ears.

I heard about using an EQ in the loop. Why not... if it works to get more bass live... yea.... I'll check that out.
Also thanks for the tip on the el34L's for more low end. I'll check that out too!

I heard some where that Randy Roades used KT77's with the Marshall JMP...thats what led me in that direction but... I know what a drag it is when you buy tubes and they don't do what you though they could do.

Happy Holidays

Mesa Stiletto Ace Head
4-12 Stiletto Cab V-30
68 RI Les Paul Custom

Im just boosting 100hz 2 db and 200hz 1.5 db and thats it. Thats all i need. Its a little more work hooking it up at every gig, but its totall worth it.

I am running my KT77's in my Stiletto Deuce II and absolutely lovem. Better bottom end and find the Eurotubes description accurate. Have and MXR 10 Band EQ sitting around too...guess I'll stick it in the loop and see what happens.

fama said:
Did you swap out any of the preamp tubes from Eurotubes recommendations?

Mesa Stiletto Ace Head
4-12 Stiletto Cab V-30
68 RI Les Paul Custom

Yes Sir. The high gain option is what I bought and installed. I also upgraded the rectifier tubes.

I have both the JJ EL34L's and the KT77 sets from Eurotubes. The L's will give you more low end than the stock tubes and give you a bit warmer sound. The KT77 give you even more lows and a bit wider response.

Seriously though - If someone were to switch my tubes without me knowing, I wonder if I could tell the difference. EQ in the loop however, makes a huge difference

you guys are talking about the E34L's right, not EL34s from Eurotubes??? that is what they advertise as the tighter low end for 34s

Looks like I'm going to stick with the stock meas tubes for now. There really sounding good right now. After I pay off Christmas... I'll be hunting for an EQ unit to insert into the loop for some more low end.

Mesa Stiletto Ace Head
4-12 Stiletto Cab V-30
68 RI Les Paul Custom
Area 51 wah

Latest posts

Back