kt77s + Roadster = yummy

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hm, how's about thowing kt 77s into and adjusting the bias at the same time? I've heard that Mesa don't like to run their amps very hot. Is that true?

Blackface tweed said:
Hm, how's about thowing kt 77s into and adjusting the bias at the same time? I've heard that Mesa don't like to run their amps very hot. Is that true?

That sounds about right. I had mine biased and the tech told me it ran cold enough to hold onto the tubes before he adjusted it...

mechanic said:
Interesting. Well, IMHO even a 'slight' difference in tightness at this point is reason enough to give 'em a try. The Maxon OD808 helped a ton - night and day actually - and an EQ may be worth trying. What is your approach WRT the EQ?

first off the lamb of god tones you speak of are derived from mark ivs, a recto and a marshall (for leads) on the recordings.... rhythm tone is pure mark iv so as far as getting there with a recto i'd say do two things (aside from buying a mark iv).... the kt77s will help a lot with note definition and attack (which is a very el34 characteristic) while still maintaining the girth and bass of your tone (6l6 territory)..... the thing that will get you there the most is an eq in the look.... i use the maxon ge601 and for me is something i couldnt live without.... it takes all the flub out especial with lower tunings..... also what kind of cab are you using? i find cabs like vht or basson or a mesa halfback (with the top closed) to be very good for handling lower tunings.... between the cab and the eq you'll find the most difference with the tubes being the last piece of the puzzle.... i've also heard great things about eurotubes' kt88/kt66 integrated quad.... the quad is designed around dropped tuned metal.... well worth looking at

Thanks for this post.

I've been gone a while and was thinking about going EL34's but did not want to sacrifice my cleans I am getting with the 6L6's.

Looks like I know what my next tube swap will be.

Set to EL34 and getter in!!!!!!

i was gonna say, i'm thinking of getting the kt 66/88 tube combo for my triple rec, has anyone tried it out? I'm going for more of the tight as fuk but fat low end metallica style tone..?

ollievk said:
i was gonna say, i'm thinking of getting the kt 66/88 tube combo for my triple rec, has anyone tried it out? I'm going for more of the tight as fuk but fat low end metallica style tone..?

havent tried it but am considering it too..... i'm also thinking of just either some kt66s or 6v6s as i've heard their more of a hifi type tube.... let me know how they sound if you end up getting them

jdurso said:
i use the maxon ge601 and for me is something i couldnt live without.... it takes all the flub out especial with lower tunings..... also what kind of cab are you using? i find cabs like vht or basson or a mesa halfback (with the top closed) to be very good for handling lower tunings.... between the cab and the eq you'll find the most difference with the tubes being the last piece of the puzzle.... i've also heard great things about eurotubes' kt88/kt66 integrated quad....

I've read that LoG used the Mark IV for rhythm on Ashes, and don't expect to get that exact tone with a DR. I'd like my tone to be tight like that, though - as much as possible at least.

WRT cabs, I've tried a few over the years, and ended up with a Genz-Benz 2x12. Seems like a decent cab, IMHO.

Regarding your EQ, what is your approach to setting it? Are you tweaking most/all of the frequencies, or targeting just one (or more) of the lower ones? I'm definitely going to pick up an EQ, and after recently getting (and loving) a Maxon OD808 am sold on their products. I'll give the 601 a try for sure.

Lastly, tubes... I'm currently using a set of TAD 6L6s, and they are very good - my favorite thus far. I've used the stock Mesa's, as well as Winged-C Svetlana's, and these just feel better to me. I only considered making a tube change because after getting the OD808, my tone has tightened up so much that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, and I want MORE! :p The kt-77 sounds like a good choice for my setup, although at this point I'm thinking that perhaps the TAD 6L6s may be fine. WRT KT-88s (in any combination) I'm hesitant due to the fact that they draw so much current: I say this because my DR DOES NOT run cold like so many others... I had a tech adjust the bias such that it runs good and hot, which could be a problem with the 88s.

Thanks for the info!

mechanic said:
jdurso said:
i use the maxon ge601 and for me is something i couldnt live without.... it takes all the flub out especial with lower tunings..... also what kind of cab are you using? i find cabs like vht or basson or a mesa halfback (with the top closed) to be very good for handling lower tunings.... between the cab and the eq you'll find the most difference with the tubes being the last piece of the puzzle.... i've also heard great things about eurotubes' kt88/kt66 integrated quad....

I've read that LoG used the Mark IV for rhythm on Ashes, and don't expect to get that exact tone with a DR. I'd like my tone to be tight like that, though - as much as possible at least.

WRT cabs, I've tried a few over the years, and ended up with a Genz-Benz 2x12. Seems like a decent cab, IMHO.

Regarding your EQ, what is your approach to setting it? Are you tweaking most/all of the frequencies, or targeting just one (or more) of the lower ones? I'm definitely going to pick up an EQ, and after recently getting (and loving) a Maxon OD808 am sold on their products. I'll give the 601 a try for sure.

Lastly, tubes... I'm currently using a set of TAD 6L6s, and they are very good - my favorite thus far. I've used the stock Mesa's, as well as Winged-C Svetlana's, and these just feel better to me. I only considered making a tube change because after getting the OD808, my tone has tightened up so much that I can see the light at the end of the tunnel, and I want MORE! :p The kt-77 sounds like a good choice for my setup, although at this point I'm thinking that perhaps the TAD 6L6s may be fine. WRT KT-88s (in any combination) I'm hesitant due to the fact that they draw so much current: I say this because my DR DOES NOT run cold like so many others... I had a tech adjust the bias such that it runs good and hot, which could be a problem with the 88s.

Thanks for the info!

yes LOG recorded the last few records with pretty much a mark iv for leads and a marshall for some of the solos.... i think you can get close to the mark iv tone of LOG with a recto if you use an eq in the loop.... my approach is tweaking all frequencies.... i like to bump up the mids a little on the eq .... i really didnt go about it with a plan just tweaked each band to where the frequency sat where i liked it.... once i went through all the bands i did a last adjustment to pull any unwanted fizzle in the highs .... i'll post my settings when i get home but for me channel 3 on my roadster using the diodes, 100 watts, on vintage mode with gain around 1, presence and treble around 1:30, mids around 10, and bass at 12 with the eq in the loops gets me a nice tight heavy rhythm.... also i foudn the key to LOG rhythm using a recto is gain slightly below 12 on vintage mode with the diodes with the master a little lower in normal so you can push the amp using the power tubes.... it gives it that dry yet thick attack which to me is more mark territory than it is recto... also try playing with the raw setting

jdurso: Congrats on your new tube config man. Thats awesome that you found a way to make that head even better. I played thru one at the shop and they're sweet for sure.

Mechanic: Take this for what its worth....

I spent a ton of cash trying to get stephen carpenters tone from Deftones years ago. I bought his exact stuff and got his exact tone. I mean EXACT.

Marshall 9100 power amps
Marshall Jmp-1 preamp
Marshall 1960 BV cabs
Replifex effects processor
Hush Super C Silencer
Boss Hyper Fuzz pedal

Cost: $5k~6k.

All I got was a bunch of people saying, "Hey man, you sound like the deftones!" I began to hate that, so my point is you may want to focus on getting your own tone instead of trying to emulate Lamb of God's tone. Besides, theres a lot of studio magic going on there. Emulating someone elses stuff gets difficult and all you get in the end is people saying you sound just like someone else. I personally began to get irritated with the whole thing. The whole point of me playing guitar and writing music was to sound unique.

A friend of mine owns a really high quality studio by me. He does major label work and is a friggin god behind the mixing board.

He showed me a trick. He was recording a local band at the time in between six feet under and walls of jherico.

This kid has a really crappy peavey old *** solid state head and a cabinet with a blown speaker. He made it sound like this kid was playing thru a Bogner Uberschall. Its all in the studio magic with Mic placement and eq's.

It blew me away. I learned a lot that day... hahah!

Jay22 said:
jdurso: Congrats on your new tube config man. Thats awesome that you found a way to make that head even better. I played thru one at the shop and they're sweet for sure.

Mechanic: Take this for what its worth....

I spent a ton of cash trying to get stephen carpenters tone from Deftones years ago. I bought his exact stuff and got his exact tone. I mean EXACT.

Marshall 9100 power amps
Marshall Jmp-1 preamp
Marshall 1960 BV cabs
Replifex effects processor
Hush Super C Silencer
Boss Hyper Fuzz pedal

Cost: $5k~6k.

All I got was a bunch of people saying, "Hey man, you sound like the deftones!" I began to hate that, so my point is you may want to focus on getting your own tone instead of trying to emulate Lamb of God's tone. Besides, theres a lot of studio magic going on there. Emulating someone elses stuff gets difficult and all you get in the end is people saying you sound just like someone else. I personally began to get irritated with the whole thing. The whole point of me playing guitar and writing music was to sound unique.

A friend of mine owns a really high quality studio by me. He does major label work and is a friggin god behind the mixing board.

He showed me a trick. He was recording a local band at the time in between six feet under and walls of jherico.

This kid has a really crappy peavey old *** solid state head and a cabinet with a blown speaker. He made it sound like this kid was playing thru a Bogner Uberschall. Its all in the studio magic with Mic placement and eq's.

It blew me away. I learned a lot that day... hahah!

yeah the 77s were awesome... ive recently switched back to the stock 6l6s to compare..... i was going to put the 77s back in but ive been lazy so the 6l6s are in there right now.... im thinking of trying the kt66s before i make another change

jesus... hahah! How many flipping different tubes are there? Nevermind. I dont want to know because then I will be compelled to try them all.

(Ahh, simmer down jay, you got a smooth tone now, no need to go spend more money... just take it easy....)

Hahah!

Jay22 said:
jesus... hahah! How many flipping different tubes are there? Nevermind. I dont want to know because then I will be compelled to try them all.

(Ahh, simmer down jay, you got a smooth tone now, no need to go spend more money... just take it easy....)

Hahah!

http://eurotubes.com/euro-e.htm

http://thetubestore.com/powertubesonly.html

basically you have the 6l6, 6v6, kt66 group, the el34, kt77 group, the kt88, 6505 group and the el84 group..... only ones ive tried thus far are the 6l6, el34, and kt77

Yeah, I actually have to replace the tubes in this thing and I just got it. I hate guitar center.

I want to go stock because I just love the tone and I dont want to mess with it at all.

I need to take it apart and find out what types of preamp tubes it has. I see all of these "kits" with like 5 different types of preamp tubes. This makes me nervous.

What about the "dougs tube" store? They have the "str440" type 6l6 tube.

Is that a good place to get them? I just want to make sure I get the stock tubes, or as close as I can get.

so if i have a 3 channel 2001 dual rec, and want to try these Kt77 JJ tubes. Do i replace all four 6L6's with four kt77's or just certain ones. And as ive read im going to switch the bias to el34? Just wanted to make sure i know what im doing and if its possible with my 3 channel dual rec.

tempest1226
flip the bias switch to EL34 and replace all of the 6L6's with KT-77's.
Vigo1999
can the Mark III take EL34's if yes flip the bias switch and pop em in.

^^

thanks kmanick! yeah mine does have the simul-class switch, gonna try'em. sometimes i miss some sparkle on my clean sounds using EL34 on the outer sockets, although it makes wonderfull things to my Rhy2 :)

Back