Kirk Hammet's Wah Pedals... (humor)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaz

Reaction score
So I had this conversation with a friend

Me: This is Kirk's signal chain:
Me: Guitar--->Wah-->DS1-->Wah-->5 Rectifier Rackmount blackfaces-->Rack processing, Wah-->Several stereo poweramps-->Wah-->Cab (with autowah)
John: Why so many wahs?
Me: Cause I'm making fun of him?
John: OOOH lol I thought you were serious
Me: ROFLMAO.

We the jury, find the defendant Kirk Hammett guilty on all charges of repetition of the same licks in all solos, bad tone for the last 18 years despite using Mesa amplifiers, and excessive use of a wah.

The defendant is sentenced to serve the next 30 years being ridiculed for such behavior, and lose the use of such wah to cover shitty technique, and lack of creativity. Defendant is also prohibited from engaging in lead guitar activity for the next 2 studio albums.

This was great!!! I always wonder if I was the only one that thought he sucked! I see I'm not alone!

It hurt me the first time I had to say that he sucked. Kirk was my idol when I first learned to play guitar. Once I got to studying his solos, and realized how repetitive his leads are, I lost all respect for him.

The guy doesn't have chops, he has a chop. Just one. And he uses it like he's never going to play it again.

One would think that someone who was a former pupil of Joe Satriani would be capable of more...

I have to admit, Kirk Hammitt was a huge influence in my formidable years, & probably inspired me to use a wah pedal, although nowadays I say it was Jimi......lol

There was some cool solo's on "...and Justice for All!", but everything else since then just sounds uninspired...

have you guys seen his interview video on the mesa site. He seems likes he's on crack in the video.

He's a weird dude. I remember reading an interview with him where he said that he walks into walls and stuff because he gets so focused on ****.
nuts.gif

I once read an article where Malmsteen said he can't listen to Hammett's playing because his vibrato sounds like a sheep !!!! Baaaaaaa !!!!! :D

hammet has stated he is heavily influenced by hendrix, where he gets his penchant for super fast finger virbrato and alot of wah.

listen to machine gun from hendrix and you will see what i mean

he has some good solos but more bad ones i will say. early one there were more good ones but singe justice only a few really stand out in my mind (unforgiven, wherever i may roam, outlaw torn). ive always been more of a hetfield fan in terms of playing as i never really connected with lead players. i will say however he does hold back a lot and he an play way more styles than what he shows in metallica. but at the end of the day things were better when they didnt have wah slobber all over them. i just think he's over rated in the guitar community, great player but how many times can the dude be guitar world player of the year (especially during the period where they hadnt put out any original stuff?? :shock: )

also does anyone else feel his best tone was in the Garage Inc cd where they did all those covers? His leads and solos sounded amazing on those... where the hell was that tone gone to??

jdurso said:
also does anyone else feel his best tone was in the Garage Inc cd where they did all those covers? His leads and solos sounded amazing on those... where the hell was that tone gone to??

**** right. I am still listening that album. All guitars and drums are so tight and loose enough when they suppose to. And that song called "mercyful fate" wow... Nowadays their tone is not bad but it just doesnt turn me on

I'm a very stout metallica fan. I have liked every single album including St. Anger. I will say the Kirk is overrated and very repitious, its true he just isn't that great.

Jdurso-
You are the only person I have ever heard mention this and I completely agree. I have been a fan of Metallica since 1985 (1st saw them on the Lightning Tour at the Paramount in Seattle). Most of my favorite stuff by him was way early- and some of the solos he plays were originally coined by Mustaine... My all-time favorite Metallica jams are covers...
I always liked Justice because of the raw and unprocessed sound of the entire album- very cool for a heavy album- but the solo work on that album is dreadful for much of the same reason IMHO. He is a great player, I just dont care for the solo work so much.
Laskyman

yeah gusy after my comment ive been hooked on garage inc, especially disc one. i absolutely love the tones on their cover of astonomy and the guitar tones on merciful fate are just off the wall amazing. if i didnt know it was a collection of covers i would have sworn merciful fate was on one of their earlier albums.

and to be more on topic, not as much wah for our boy kirk :wink:

rabies said:
mikey383 said:
It hurt me the first time I had to say that he sucked. Kirk was my idol when I first learned to play guitar. Once I got to studying his solos, and realized how repetitive his leads are, I lost all respect for him.

The guy doesn't have chops, he has a chop. Just one. And he uses it like he's never going to play it again.

that's interesting. kirk hammett has great feel as do john frusciante and david gilmour, for example.

just listen to the solos in orion. that's their best song hand's down.

he does make excessive use of ascending or descending triplet patterns, however...

The Orion solos are Hetfield. To put Hammett in a class with JF or DG is just absurd. He doesn't have nearly the feel of them.

Garage Inc. and Master of Puppets are my two favorites in terms of tone.

Latest posts

Back