Kind of surprised at the negatives....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. As I stated in another thread, the manual said the popping between wattage changes was normal and unavoidable, and it will not hurt the amp. Plus, are you actually going to run up to the amp, and switch wattage in the middle of a song?

2. If the modes were footswitchable, people would complain that the footswitch would be too big. Be thankful that the voicings are even there.

3. Mark I is dark, but like you said, can be adjusted. It has GREAT milky neck pickup sounds for soloing!

4. I complained about low end at the beginning. Then I backed off the preamp EQ, boosted it on the graphic. Now my Recto is in the corner crying, wishing it could keep up.

5. Don't care much about midi....don't use it.

6. I won't comment on the EQ until I've had the amp longer. Not fair to judge this early.

1. the popping doesn't bother me, but I could see how it might be an issue if you have midi hooked up to the amp and DO switch in the middle of the song

2. mode switching wouldn't make the footswitch bigger...on my Marshall JVM410 you just keep taping the channel switch with your foot to cycle through the modes on that channel...of course that amp was MIDI

3. MK I is a great channel...it can be dark but it can be much bright with adjusting...I really like it (In other words, I agree with you)

4.I care about MIDI, it would be nice

5. I like the Graphich EQ...people don't say it's as powerful as before...I just don't think they made it as sensitive...plus now you have preset EQ...so there

Why do people cut and paste the nonsense from the manual thinking it's fact and printed in stone.

Remember guys, Boogie has been saying since 1991 that the MArk IV has the IIC+ sound included. How close was that? When you buy a Mark V you're getting a Mark V, you're NOT getting a IIC+. Boogie will say whatever they want so they can attempt to sell as many amps as possible. If you want the feel and tone from a IIC+ start looking and don't bother with the V.

danyeo1 said:
Why do people cut and paste the nonsense from the manual thinking it's fact and printed in stone.

Remember guys, Boogie has been saying since 1991 that the MArk IV has the IIC+ sound included. How close was that?

So why are you suprised about MK V

scott7d said:
1. As I stated in another thread, the manual said the popping between wattage changes was normal and unavoidable, and it will not hurt the amp. Plus, are you actually going to run up to the amp, and switch wattage in the middle of a song?

2. If the modes were footswitchable, people would complain that the footswitch would be too big. Be thankful that the voicings are even there.

3. Mark I is dark, but like you said, can be adjusted. It has GREAT milky neck pickup sounds for soloing!

4. I complained about low end at the beginning. Then I backed off the preamp EQ, boosted it on the graphic. Now my Recto is in the corner crying, wishing it could keep up.

5. Don't care much about midi....don't use it.

6. I won't comment on the EQ until I've had the amp longer. Not fair to judge this early.

1. 2. 3. & 4., excellent & practically thought out points, I agree totally.

danyeo1 said:
I'm not suprised now. I was just dumb enough to buy into the hype and marketing.

Ears first...cash second. :)

BTW I did try that 2c+ with the mxr in the loop...all i gotta say is...why oh why did Mesa EVER
decide to fix what wasn't broken....

The real 2c+ IS Mesa...the end.

danyeo1 said:
I'm not suprised now. I was just dumb enough to buy into the hype and marketing.

Don't kick yourself too hard Dan, I did the same thing when I bought my Blackface/Chrome chassis 2-channel Triple Rectifier. I figured if all these big name artists were playing the Rectifiers, then I would like them too. It was not a bad amp, it was just not for me. I will NEVER buy another new MESA without a test drive, ever again.

danyeo1 said:
If you want the feel and tone from a IIC+ start looking and don't bother with the V.

I like tones A, B, and C...from these recordings X, Y, and Z. They were done with a Mark IIC+. I get those same exact tones with the Mark V on IIC+ mode, as opposed to every tone you could dial in on a Mark IIC+. I think Mesa got it right.

On my Mark IV, I would have to tweak for about 5 to 10 minutes to get the sound I wanted because of the unusual gain structure of the amp and it was good. I can get that same tone in about 30 seconds on a Mark V. Again, I think Mesa got it right.

...and I could just keep going with all the good things happening on the V's R2 and the nice addition of the fat and ballsy Extreme mode.

What I don't understand about the people who want foot switchable modes is how would you eq them then?...I mean the modes on each channel are quite different sounding from each other (a very good feature) and need completely different eq settings to sound good, so if you would say footswitch from the crunch mode on the 2nd channel to the Mark I mode on the 2nd channel, your eq setting would be way off from each mode and therefore sound horrible...This seems so obvious to me and I can't believe nobody else has said anything. :? ...Anybody else draw this conclusion?

Daxman73 said:
What I don't understand about the people who want foot switchable modes is how would you eq them then?...I mean the modes on each channel are quite different sounding from each other (a very good feature) and need completely different eq settings to sound good, so if you would say footswitch from the crunch mode on the 2nd channel to the Mark I mode on the 2nd channel, your eq setting would be way off from each mode and therefore sound horrible...This seems so obvious to me and I can't believe nobody else has said anything. :? ...Anybody else draw this conclusion?

That is pretty much Mesa's reasoning as well on their manual. I guess no one reads the manual :lol:

I spent some quality time with this amp at a local shop today and all I can say is I want one! But, it will have to wait a while.......funds are low at the moment...hopefully all the minor bugs will be worked out by then.

Daxman73 said:

My thought exactly. And there would be only 2 ways to accomplish this;

build an amp with all three modes to have their own individual eq sections...which would be silly and utterly impractical. Or 2;

midi...which of course the amp is not, and most folks will say they,d rather not have anyhow.

Would it be kinda cool to be able to go from a kick-*** IIC+ setting to a sweet IV setting? Sure! Maybe they,re saving that for the next version!

Bottom line; pick your fave, set it & forget it! You,ve got three great channels/sounds to go to on the fly, plus your guitar volume knob, extra eq, & a solo boost.

In just about any musical situation, that should be plenty. It certainly is for me!

Latest posts

Back