Kim Thayil

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clutch71

Reaction score
I'm on vacation this week and next and have committed the free time to studying Kim. HIs tunings are wacked by the way! I know Soundgarden has used Dual Rec's but are we one 100% certain on which album he used them? Kim was very Partial to the VTM-120.

Here's my best guess...without research.

Screaming for Life - Marshal SLP or Super Bass
Ultra Omega OK - Marshall JCM 800?
Loud Love - Peavy VTM 120
Bad Motor Finger - Peavey VTM 120
Superunknown - Fender/Dual Rec/ Maverick?
Down on the Upside - Dual Rec

Like to see what you guys think.

I was Jamming on Like Suicide and Superunknown yesterday and really digging the tone. My Marshall comes close but where I think it is lacking is the lower gain tones acheived on these tunes. I don't think he was running that much gain. Am I just geeking for a Rec again or a Peavey VTM 120?

I don't know for sure about time periods but I was told that soundgarden took Trem-O-Verbs on tour with them... Maybe they used them for recording but I know they at least used them live. Bottom line, their best albums were made with MESA.

The only Mesas I ever saw them use were 2 Channel Dual Rectos.

Before that Kim was using his VTM-120 with Mesa cabs.

Superunknown is classic Recto tone. Esspecially "Mailman".

I do know in the early days he used a Music Man head through a Peavey or Marshall cab.

Either way, he was one of my guitar heroes for sure. Amazing player. Wish he did more stuff!

Why not? Go for it (the peavey). You can always ebay it and get something else. Besides, Kim was able to get some killer sounds out of his. However, a recto will be easier to get rid of and have a better resale value IMO.

Latest posts

Back