Key to Good tone with MKIV IMHO

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The EQ is awesome on this amp. the more I have the amp, the more I like it. Which is always a good thing, IMHO. I've managed (with great help from the Stokes man) to add a bias pot. I'm running el34's on the outside tubes ( i like this for now). Another gig tomorrow, to test the amp out. so far I'm in love.

I had EL34's in the outter sockets and really liked it... but this past sunday I put the 6L6's in again and liked it better. Gave me a more traditional Boogie sound. More honk it that makes sense. I also backed off the 6600 hz on the eq and bumped the bottom of the V up a bit. But I find a little adjustment anywhere can change everything. I keep a digital camera with me now and take pictures of the settings LOL...

srf399 said:
I had EL34's in the outter sockets and really liked it... but this past sunday I put the 6L6's in again and liked it better. Gave me a more traditional Boogie sound. More honk it that makes sense. I also backed off the 6600 hz on the eq and bumped the bottom of the V up a bit. But I find a little adjustment anywhere can change everything. I keep a digital camera with me now and take pictures of the settings LOL...

I just put EL34s on the outer positions as well. I think it adds a nice growl, but I'll put the 6L6s back in and see which ones I like better in a few days. I'm kinda struggling with keeping the tone I get at lower volume when I turn it up to gigging levels.

The digital camera is a great idea!

I'm a newbie, but after only two gigs, and struggling with volume, I've gone to triode in class A. To me this sounds like a winner. Also the amp seems easier to play. at first when ever I switched from pentode or full power the amp didn't sound good, but I think a lot of that is because the volume gets lower, and it tricks you, IMHO. I'm digging el34's in class A but the 6l6 sound fine too.

Back