Just tried the LP w/ the Mark IV for the first time

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Platypus

Reaction score
:shock: :shock: :shock:

I wanted to use a different guitar for awhile because I'd been using my 58 VOS LP nonstop when I got my Ace a few months ago... so I had been holding off on using it w/ my mark... when I plugged it in, the cleans were pretty sweet, didn't like them as much as my prs but the lead channel w/ the LP is so awesome.

Full, thick, heavy, articulate distortion with an awesome vintage vibe... even though the Lead is setup for huge saturation the guitar still shined through and sounded totally different than my other axes.. my favorite part is changing the volume on the bridge pickup.. lower it's not really any quieter it's just more biting and sharp, the full blast makes it fill out with fat huge bass.. so tight and fluid. If I didn't absolutely love my Ace's EL34 bite and marshally flavor I would probably not own it any longer because of how good the LP sounds out of the mark... I'm floored :p

All of your posts make me want a Mark IV... then I end up at my local shop trying to dial in the tone I hear in my head, getting frustrated as hell, and then plugging into something else. It seems as if I couldn't dial in that puppy even if my life depended on it. Perhaps it is because the floor model in stock there is the compact combo rather than a head and cab? :?:

Also, does the Ace sound better at higher volumes? At "bedroom levels" it sounds bright and fizzy to me.

That's certainly part of it but you should be able to get good tones out of the combo too.. the only mark IV I could play was a combo as well before I bought my head.

Mark IV is a hard one to figure out.

Try these settings next time you go:

Lead Gain: 8.5 pulled
Lead Treble: 8
Lead Mid: 5
Lead Bass: 2.5
Lead Pres: 7 pulled
Lead Vol: 3.5
Lead Drive: 7 pulled
Output: 2

Tight V EQ, triode, mid gain, tweed, class A

As far as the ace, it does fill out a bit in the bass and warm up as the volume gets louder.. try dialing up the bass and take the treble/presence controls lower, use the tube rectifier and the spongy power variac.

JOEY B. said:
How in the hell were you able to hold out this long before putting the "WOOD" to your MkIV? :lol:

I don't know, strong convictions I guess. I wanted to get to know the amp with one guitar so I could learn it more througholy.

It's def got a vintage vib to it but it's awesome, the lead is just fantastic with the neck pickup, the guitar just sings with harmonics/sustain.

I absolutely love the sound of an LP through my Mark IV. Any Gibson actually.

I have used my 1998 58 RI though all the MK's for years. Revently I put Fralins in and it killed my tone. I ended up putting the 57' Classics in and it just rips. It reminds me of Gary Moore's tone on Blues Alive. I had the 59 RI with the burst buckers and i though they were a very good pickup, but I prefere that extra little shred from the 57's. The nice thing about the Burst Buckers was they were a huge sounding pickup. I just prefer a bright pickup and then adjust the amp to compensate.

Boogiebabies said:
I have used my 1998 58 RI though all the MK's for years. Revently I put Fralins in and it killed my tone. I ended up putting the 57' Classics in and it just rips. It reminds me of Gary Moore's tone on Blues Alive. I had the 59 RI with the burst buckers and i though they were a very good pickup, but I prefere that extra little shred from the 57's. The nice thing about the Burst Buckers was they were a huge sounding pickup. I just prefer a bright pickup and then adjust the amp to compensate.

Yeah, this is my thought too.. I would like my tone to be a 'tad' brighter, I think I might need to mess with my EQ more to shape the tone I'm after. I have burstbucker 2/3 in my 58. The sound is fantastic how it stands though, every single combination of pickup/tone truly alters the tone and it's so clear and punchy. I don't have that problem with the Ace since it's super bright on its own :D

I love my LP's in LD on my Mark IV. I love anything in LD though. The LP's do shine in LD though.

I still laugh when I hear Wynona's Big Brown Beaver. :lol:

I saw Primus at Ozzfest '99. They were a riot. Les was out in the crowd playing his bass.

Les is awesome, I saw him with Primus and Oysterhead.. that was nuts.

During Oysterhead he came out in a white boiler suit with this massive antlers helmet complete with flashlights and goggles.. Trey had a guitar shaped like an antler with some sort of theremin built into them, it was great.

rabies said:
IMHO, Les Claypool and Mike Patton are the two biggest weirdos of any music scene. Hardcore. I recently saw a clip of Patton on youtube live performance with FNM. HE DID A FRONT BODY FLIP AND LANDED ON HIS BACK WHILE SINGING!!!

that's crazy.

Patton is a nut, I saw him with FNM and Tomahawk (who sucked ***).

saw primus (4x), frog brigade, oysterhead, my favorite show was the Tales from the Punchbowl tour '94 at SDSU open air theater. not many people out there have the talent + showmanship + endearing insanity that claypool exhibits

R2 w/o EQ sounded great with the LP too, just got done jamming with that for a bit. I like it better with an OD but it's great alone too.

Back