Just talking here: Put my RK combo on the floor at the gig..

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tele_jas

Reaction score
I've been playing with my Road King combo up on a speaker cab or some sort of riser since I got it.... Last week we played a wedding reception (boring) and I sat my amp on the floor and it sounded so much different. This is probably just because it wasn't pointed at my head, but I liked it much better.......... But the bad side, it was harder to hear where I was at since it wasn't pointed at my head.

Just some thinking out loud here.

Yeah. I like the sound of combo's on the floor as well, but like you said hard to hear at times without it in your face.

Hi!

I have the same concern.

I like the low bass end when the cab is on the ground and I like also the brilliant sound when having the speaker oriented towards to my ears.

I have tried different combination. The best one of course is having one 2x12” cab on the floor and another one on your stand oriented towards your ears.

But you can reach a good compromise by leaving the speaker or combo on the floor (no riser) and orienting it to your ear by pushing the top backwards (leaning on a wall for instance), I know Fenders sells some stands for that purpose.

This way you keep the low end response (floor contact) and the brilliance (oriented to your ears).

Sorry for my approximate English , I am French speaking…

I Hope this help you!

fx2 said:
Hi!

I have the same concern.

I like the low bass end when the cab is on the ground and I like also the brilliant sound when having the speaker oriented towards to my ears.

I have tried different combination. The best one of course is having one 2x12” cab on the floor and another one on your stand oriented towards your ears.

But you can reach a good compromise by leaving the speaker or combo on the floor (no riser) and orienting it to your ear by pushing the top backwards (leaning on a wall for instance), I know Fenders sells some stands for that purpose.

This way you keep the low end response (floor contact) and the brilliance (oriented to your ears).

I Hope this help you!

I thought your post was right on in terms of English punctuation and grammar. In fact, I didnt know that you were French Speaking untill you mentioned it! Thanks for tuning in!

Yes, your english was fine. I thought the amp stands were higher up off the ground though. I didn't know they still kept contact with the floor, that is a nice thing to know. Thanks

cool deal, good to know. looking to get a combo for at home playing, because i am leaving my halfstack at our rehearsel space.

I've been telling people this for years, there's a reason Fender put legs on so many of their combos. They sound much better on the floor tilted back. I also do this with my Traynor YCV-50. I still use an amp stand, but I removed the extention arms and just use the A-frame base to lean the amp back on. You should be careful however that heat is not allowed to build up inside the cab. To solve that problem I use a small clamp on fan that clamps to the A-frame and blows cool air into the back of the amp keeping everything nice and cool.

Micah said:
fx2 said:

I thought your post was right on in terms of English punctuation and grammar. In fact, I didnt know that you were French Speaking untill you mentioned it! Thanks for tuning in!
Micah, could you recognize his French accent? :lol:

fx2, you probably write in English better than us Americans.

this one I think is what you're all talking about....btw, might get one soon myself 8)
http://www.thomann.de/thoiw2_artikel-191823.html

You mean " better than we Americans."

You proved your point.

Back