Just retubed, stunning difference

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Platypus

Reaction score
Dual Rec 3 channel owner here.

I just got 2 matched JJ EL-34L tubes and 2 matched THD YellowJacket converters w/ EL-84 tubes to run in my power section and the difference is staggering! After replacing my stock 6L6's there is no more farty bass, no more loosey goosey action; this thing is ridiculously tight, crunchy, and the sustain went up 10 fold.

I am extremely happy with the results.. big thanks to Sonixx and Redmax61 for the advice, I couldn't be happier.

I feel like I have a new amplifier and it's finally the 'sound' I was after with my dualrec.

I'm psyched for you!!! I'm glad to hear that you are dialed in.

So I take it you got the info you were looking for in regards to the EL-34L's?

RussB said:
cnumb44 said:
Are you running the 34s and the 84s at the same time?

+1 please say you're not :shock:

Yeah.. what's the problem? The YellowJacket converters allow for this.. They fit into an EL34 slot and do all the conversion so this is possible. There are lots of people on this board who do the same thing. I am running the bias in EL34 mode.

redmax61 said:
I'm psyched for you!!! I'm glad to hear that you are dialed in.

So I take it you got the info you were looking for in regards to the EL-34L's?

Yep, the 34L's sound GREAT, I was expecting a huge bass drop when I switched but the L's have lots of bass punch, esp with EMG 707's driving them :)

I'm curious as well. I've had YellowJackets and EL-34's in my amp since 2002, and I haven't melted anything yet.

I've been reassured by the folks at THD several times that running this setup is perfectly fine. Yellowjackets were made specifically for this purpose. As a matter of fact, before I even took the 6L6's out of my amp, I was on the phone and on IM with Ed Degenero from THD for several days in regards to setting my amp up like this. He told me the exact way I should set my amp up.

And the tone is to die for.

Why should we not be using 34's and 84's at the same time?

I'm curious as well. I've had YellowJackets and EL-34's in my amp since 2002, and I haven't melted anything yet.

I've been reassured by the folks at THD several times that running this setup is perfectly fine.

OK, I learned something today! Carry on :oops:

I think it sounds like a great combo. Did you try the Yellowjackets with 2-6L6's?

I just ordered a quad of EL34Ls for my LSC and am anxious to hear teh difference. The EL84s might be another option to get different tone.

cnumb44 said:
I think it sounds like a great combo. Did you try the Yellowjackets with 2-6L6's?

I just ordered a quad of EL34Ls for my LSC and am anxious to hear teh difference. The EL84s might be another option to get different tone.

No to be honest I didn't try this. I don't really like the sound of 6L6's, even with the spongy setting they are still really flubby with the bass to my ears.

I would def. audition the 84's and the 34's together, the tone is unreal.

Please elaborate, you guys have me curious about this combination of tubes! Are the cleans improved? Whats with the thicker gain? Inquiring minds want to know! :wink:

jbird said:
Please elaborate, you guys have me curious about this combination of tubes! Are the cleans improved? Whats with the thicker gain? Inquiring minds want to know! :wink:

What would you like to know in particular?

There is an immediate difference in crunch. The 34L's + 84s have way more midrange and upper range spank than the 6L6's. They are lacking in bass but that's perfect because of the oversized recto cab plus the recto itself being bassy naturally. The sustain is much better, especially in the neck pickup on my axes. The notes literally carry forever now whereas before they would eventually fizzle out or lose their tone.

As far as cleans, I almost tend to prefer the 6L6's for clean but this is very similar and not enough difference to complain about. I tend to use a different amp for my cleans so it's not really an issue for me.

The gain feels much crisper/thicker, it has that great 'sag' and harmonic distortion the recto is famous for but in spades compared to the stock 6L6's. It has a much snappier response as well.

I noticed that although there isn't quite as much bottom as with the 6L6's, there's still an abundance of it, and what's there is incredibly tight. I also noticed that the "buzziness" that the Rectifier series is notorious for is gone. Replaced by that upper midrange gnarly tone that makes Marshalls so appealing. Pretty much what Playtpus has already stated.

I like to call it vintage aggression.

As far as the cleans are concerned, I prefer a darker sound. Most of the time I'm running clean, I'm using the neck pickup. With the 34/84 setup, it isn't necessarily different. Just warmer.

Hey! I'm a newbie, and I have a three channel dual rec. I'm pretty happy with the tone I have now, but I am always looking for ways to improve it. Can you tell me where you got these tubes and the yellow jacket converters and about how much it ran you? Thanks!!!

Most folks around here are getting their stuff from http://www.eurotubes.com. I understand that "Bob" is quite helpful with tube choices. Read his site and see if you agree. I do like JJ products and have no reservations about recommending them.

mbbguitar1 said:
Hey! I'm a newbie, and I have a three channel dual rec. I'm pretty happy with the tone I have now, but I am always looking for ways to improve it. Can you tell me where you got these tubes and the yellow jacket converters and about how much it ran you? Thanks!!!

As one fellow recommended, eurotubes is where I ordered my JJ tubes. Bob is a nice guy albiet very 'passionate' about tubes. The Yellow Jackets I ordered from some online guitar site, forgot the name.. just google 'YJSD Yellow Jackets' and get the duet.

cool, thanks. I'm anxious to hear the difference. I've tried the mesa 6l6 and el34's and was happy with each in their own way, but like I said, I am always trying improve tone.

Back