Just retubed Mark IV with JJ's. WOW!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris_EIT

Reaction score
Hey guys! I just got my full retube kit, with 6l6's and KT77's and what can I say.... WOW! It's actually quite amazing how the difference was not subtle at all, it was quite alarming! I put them in, switched on and fell in love with the Mark IV all over again :p
The KT77's were a nice addition too, just enough to open the sound a little. The Mark IV CAN be too tight sometimes. It really sounds amazing now. I think JJ's will be where I go from now on XD
Any other opinions guys?

I just retubed my MK IV with Mesa 6v6's that I got from someone here on the board. Thanks Frank.

Super Wow! Same thing as you, fell in love all over again. No that my amp sounded bad! It just now sounds better. But my tubes were pretty old as well. I didn't want to admit how bad they sounded.

But then I play pretty clean Blues and Jazz....

But my amp now sounds like the Fender on steroids. Every channel sounds fantastic again. and LOUD!!!! :shock: :D

Axis39 said:
I just retubed my MK IV with Mesa 6v6's that I got from someone here on the board. Thanks Frank.

Super Wow! Same thing as you, fell in love all over again. No that my amp sounded bad! It just now sounds better. But my tubes were pretty old as well. I didn't want to admit how bad they sounded.

But then I play pretty clean Blues and Jazz....

But my amp now sounds like the Fender on steroids. Every channel sounds fantastic again. and LOUD!!!! :shock: :D

Glad you're still liking them. Given the music you play, 6V6s were a good choice for the Mk IV.

Frank

It depends what sound you are looking for, personally I didn't like the JJ's at all, not enough gain and too warm for the stuff I like to play.

Some people say that preamp tube types don't make a difference, they must be tone-deaf, they make all the difference!!

I retubed with JJ's several years ago, and while I liked their 6L6 power tubes enough that I still use them, I didn't like their preamp tubes and no longer use those.

I first got into JJ tubes in 2000-2001 or so and they were really inconsistent back then. I still find they are still somewhat inconsistent but are better than before. If you have a good set of pre tubes they can sound very good and allow you to add in more mids without being over the top.

I always say if you notice a huge change between tube changes then your tubes were probably so worn that they had no tone left. When I retubed my first tube head (Peavey 5150) with JJ 6L6's I was amazed but I should have realized the tubes that came with it (2 chinese 6l6's and 2 sov 5881's) were on their last leg and that was what contributed to what i heard changing to JJ's.

Greg

disassembled said:
I first got into JJ tubes in 2000-2001 or so and they were really inconsistent back then. I still find they are still somewhat inconsistent but are better than before. If you have a good set of pre tubes they can sound very good and allow you to add in more mids without being over the top.

I always say if you notice a huge change between tube changes then your tubes were probably so worn that they had no tone left. When I retubed my first tube head (Peavey 5150) with JJ 6L6's I was amazed but I should have realized the tubes that came with it (2 chinese 6l6's and 2 sov 5881's) were on their last leg and that was what contributed to what i heard changing to JJ's.

Exactly! The great sound is not due to the brand of tubes you used. It is due to the fact that your old tubes were worn out. Just about any good new tubes you put in there were going to make a big difference in tone.

Greg

Well if ANY tube change will benefit me no matter what the brand, then I think I'm gonna stay with JJ's. In Australia a standard retube kit with MESA tubes costs me $300+ and JJ's only cost $150. And the tone sounds very nice so yeh! Well I'm a happy camper. Australia is such a strain for amps and those sorts of things though! Very expensive!

I wasn't trying to say you're wrong as I think JJ's sound good (pre and power). I just have 7 years or so of experience with them so I've the good the bad and the ugly. I remember when Bob would actually participate on these types of message boards. He always would root for the JJ tubes and rightly so since that's his product but some might say he doesn't give any other brand a real fair shot. That's why I prefer Doug's service since he deals with NOS and most currently made tubes he can help tune you up to the right tone by throwing more options at you.

Greg

Hey dude, nah I totally understand. I'm just saying that if this is the case then I'm fine with it simply because the cost of JJ's for me being in Australia is gonna be the easy choice, IF the tonal difference isn't mega between tubes that's all XD

chris_EIT said:
Hey dude, nah I totally understand. I'm just saying that if this is the case then I'm fine with it simply because the cost of JJ's for me being in Australia is gonna be the easy choice, IF the tonal difference isn't mega between tubes that's all XD

I absolutely agree use what works and what is affordable. The funny thing is the difference between new tubes is not as stark as some on this forum make it to be. Like changing to Sov's or Tungsol reissues don't make the Mark IV sound like a Recto but subtle tone changes are most likely going to be missed in a live setting.

Greg

boola said:
It depends what sound you are looking for, personally I didn't like the JJ's at all, not enough gain and too warm for the stuff I like to play.
!!

not enough gain eh?

those are the have the highest average gain of any 12ax7 in production right now.
maybe you just got some bad ones.

Back