just joined the stiletto clan

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Put the Stiletto Deuce II, Stiletto Ace and Roadster through the mean grinder today looking for an amp that would compliment my Mark IV rig.

Wow I was totally impressed with the Stiletto and would have gone for the Ace but its voicing is a tad bit too vintage sounding for the type of music i play. The roadster failed to impress, while the stiletto had the balls, chunk, and tightness of a mark IV, but with a different voicing, and a few different bells and whistles.

Two thumbs up to mesa for making the stiletto! Great amp

I'm looking into an Ace combo. Haven't played the Deuce Stage II.

How different was the Deuce Stage II compared to the Ace? No dealers around here :(

Lt_Core said:

How different was the Deuce Stage II compared to the Ace? No dealers around here :(

They are voiced the same only the Deuce has more headroom with the 50/100 watt option

Barry said:
Lt_Core said:

They are voiced the same only the Deuce has more headroom with the 50/100 watt option

Cool! I have an Avatar Vintage cab loaded with Hellatone 60L's (broken-in V30's) so that would probably be a good match.

I've read somewhere that the Ace combos sound incredible because of the special cabinet used and how it's tuned. Don't know if that's true or not. Sorry to threadjack :)

Lt_Core said:
Barry said:
Lt_Core said:

Cool! I have an Avatar Vintage cab loaded with Hellatone 60L's (broken-in V30's) so that would probably be a good match.

I've read somewhere that the Ace combos sound incredible because of the special cabinet used and how it's tuned. Don't know if that's true or not. Sorry to threadjack :)

When i got my 4X12 stiletto cab that really had a major impact on my rig . Such an important part / the missing link if you will . The Deuce II is an amazing tone machine . They shine best with mahogany based humbucker guitars . LPs fit like a glove .
www.toyzzband.com

Barry said:
They shine best with mahogany based humbucker guitars . LPs fit like a glove .
www.toyzzband.com

What a coincidence! I have a shiny, almost brand-new Les Paul Mahogany Studio with Burstbuckers :)

Lt_Core said:
Barry said:
They shine best with mahogany based humbucker guitars . LPs fit like a glove .
www.toyzzband.com

What a coincidence! I have a shiny, almost brand-new Les Paul Mahogany Studio with Burstbuckers :)

I recently got a Joe perry Boneyard LP . Amazing sounding instrument . Also have a early 70s LP with Duncan 59s . Another sweet sounding LP . They both love the Deuce .

thanks, its wicked, im very happy and look forward to running it with my mark iv.....i found a slight difference in the voicing of the Ace and the Duece, the ace was slightly browner in sound, other than that the Ace was great as well. I play old school metal, with some new influences, its got good chunk thats not over bearing......big bass and such is all fine and great, but when your in a band and everybody needs to fill out a fequency finding amps that crunch and chunk and sound heavy without killing the bass or getting muddy is key, and im very happy that ive got something to team up with my mark iv

les_Paul_rocker said:
thanks, its wicked, im very happy and look forward to running it with my mark iv.....i found a slight difference in the voicing of the Ace and the Duece, the ace was slightly browner in sound, other than that the Ace was great as well. I play old school metal, with some new influences, its got good chunk thats not over bearing......big bass and such is all fine and great, but when your in a band and everybody needs to fill out a fequency finding amps that crunch and chunk and sound heavy without killing the bass or getting muddy is key, and im very happy that ive got something to team up with my mark iv

Sounds like a good plan ;)

tot.jpg

Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:53 pm Post subject: Re: re:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Platypus wrote:
les_Paul_rocker wrote:

Sounds like a good plan

Do you use an amp switcher ? I see your TS9 . I had mine modded by Keeley . Its really the business now . Must have one of those peterson tuners ! Ill have to get some pics of the Stiletto and 4X12 cab . They are done in gold grille as well .
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u92/barry2001/DSC00673.jpg

Barry said:
Do you use an amp switcher ? I see your TS9 . I had mine modded by Keeley . Its really the business now . Must have one of those peterson tuners ! Ill have to get some pics of the Stiletto and 4X12 cab . They are done in gold grille as well .

No, I'm using the slave out of my Mark IV into the Stiletto as a power amp. Kind of redundant since I could use EL34's in my Mark IV too but I like having 4 6L6's and 2 EL34s :D

TS9 is plain jane stock, was going to get it modded but I really don't use it too often any more. The Strobostomp is essential, I love that pedal so much.

I'd love to get my recto cab done up in the same grille color one day, can't wait to see how it looks on yours.

I've now spent some extensive time with the Ace combo. Mesa really fixed this amp - I hated the series I Deuce and Trident I played, but the Ace combo knocked me out...

Welcome to Stiletto-land!

I'll say that I love the ACE combo. It's the amp that got me back into Mesa. Good luck on deciding which version works for you, be it the head or combo. For me, the combo is plenty in terms of size and projection.

I love my Stiletto Ace 112 Combo, and I just bought a Lonestar Special 112 Combo to compliment it. Low watt amps are the way to go for me.

Latest posts

Back