Just how versatile is the Roadster?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hfisher3380

Reaction score
I have been playing Roadsters in shops for months now and like the tones more and more every time. I currently play a Stiletto Ace head with a Recto 412 cab - play a wide variety of stuff from '60s right through to modern alt/rock - lots of classic/hard rock from '70s and '80s. Obviously the Stiletto does great with classic rock but the Roadster has the obvious edge with newer stuff like Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, Linkin Park etc. It also has an absolutely wonderful clean channel - touch sensitive, chimey...just alive!

My questions is whether the Roadster can do the classic rock thing (think Marshall on 'roids - like the Stiletto) nearly as well. I was getting some nice tones on channel 2 in Brit mode with gain, treble and presence dialed up but not quite Stiletto territory. Perhaps with EL34s and TungSol 12ax7 pre tubes it would get even closer?

I wouldn't necessarily want to or have to get rid of the Stiletto and it is nice have a variety of tones - but I guess part of me is hoping the Roadster can handle Stiletto-type tones and add many more options to provide an all-in-one solution.

Thanks!

Check this out.

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=28216&highlight=roadster+mod

Basically, Stiletto heavy tones (Fluid Drive comes to mind) within the Roadster. I couldn't believe how close it was after I did it. Back down the gain, and you have Crunch mode. I tested a Stiletto shortly after I did it, and sure enough, it sounded almost exact!

i'd say even without the mod you could get into stiletto territory with an OD infront of channel 2 brit. maybe even with el34 or kt77s instead of the l6s althought that will effect the cleans

Back