Just got a triple recto

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allcountyfair

Reaction score
I just got my first Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier and it is by far amazing . I just have some questions to make sure everythings alright with it. First, when i first flip on the Power switch i hear a quick crackle coming from the back of the head. Is this ok? Also, when i get close to the amp with my guitar or near the side of it i get a loud hum, but when i walk away from the amp it goes away, is this normal? Thanks for your help! :D

allcountyfair said:
...First, when i first flip on the Power switch i hear a quick crackle coming from the back of the head. Is this ok? Also, when i get close to the amp with my guitar or near the side of it i get a loud hum, but when i walk away from the amp it goes away, is this normal?...

Crackling on power-up: as long as everything on the amp functions ok and it sounds good, I would guess this is just the sound of the tube heaters expanding as they get warm. As someone posted in another thread "The sound of lightning in a bottle"

Hum: If your guitar has single-coil p'ups, its just the nature of the beast...not really much you can do about it (exc dont stand so close to your amp!) If humbuckers, check to make sure there is a good ground to the bridge, and the control cavity is well shielded. This applies to singles as well. At any rate I would say the hum is guitar-related and has nothing to do with your amplifier.

Triples F'ing rock! Crank it up and enjoy!

Jon

Thanks so much! I do have a Gibson Les Paul Jr. and as you probably already know it does have a P-90 single coil pickup. You have been a great help!

allcountyfair said:
Thanks so much! I do have a Gibson Les Paul Jr. and as you probably already know it does have a P-90 single coil pickup. You have been a great help!

expect more great help from people on this forum!

not me though, I don't know ****, but a lot of these guys know their stuff!

Congrats on the amp man! Triple's are awesome. I experiece that hum sometimes as well when i'm near my amp. It's completely guitar related and pretty normal. There's nothing wrong with your head or speakers. Like stated earlier, the faint crackle is probably just the tube filament recieving power.

Rock on man!

-AJH

Latest posts

Back