****! Just got a Recto combo and now I need to fix it...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tallcoolone

Reaction score
Have no idea how I did it but I broke the center post of an EL34 tube off in the tube socket. It's not like I've never swapped tubes in an amp before--just jimmyed it wrong somehow.

Is this something I can push out myself by pulling the chassis or am I going to have to take it in somewhere? Also, I have a good tube amp guy I use all the time--can I bring it to him or should I go somewhere like an "Authorized Repair" shop?

Did I mention that I just got this? BTW, I got the amp used so warrantee isn't an issue I don't believe.

You can try pulling the chassis to see if you can push it out. If you can, do it. If it looks like more work than you feel safe in doing to remove anything in the way to do it take it in. If not, you might have to remove any components in the way to safely push it out. You could also try screwing a small screw into the top of the broken piece to remove it with your chassis removed for better access.

Fixed it. Just what I want to do with a new Mesa--take it completely apart.

Thanks for the help.

I did that with my first Mesa, actually it happened when I received it and it had 13 broken tubes and 4 were 6l6 tubes.... I just stuck a needle nose plier in the socket and kind of pulled it apart slightly and pulled it out and it pulled the peice out.

FYI: I was told by Mesa that you can still use the tube as long as it doens't have a crack in the glass.

Yeah, I have a 420 missing it's guide post that is powering my Mark IV.

Back