Just got a Mark IV...a few questions.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThatDamnSG

Reaction score
Hello all, I FINALLY got around to picking up a Mark IV combo this week. I've owned some Mesa's in the past, but never a Mark IV. Now, I've got one and I'm kicking myself for never giving them a fair chance in the past. Doh!

Anyway, I've got a few questions I'm hoping some of you can help me with. First off...I really don't care much for the amp as just a stand alone combo. Plugged into my 2X12 cab, loaded with Celestion Classic Lead 80's, its phenomenal though. As just a combo, with the C90 speaker its pretty underwhelming. Any suggestions on a speaker swap for the C90 that will make the combo fuller sounding (less crunchy and nasaly) as a stand alone unit? On another note, is there anywhere I can get a head box for the amp if I wanted to convert it to just a head? I've seen Mesa sells the rack kits...not really my thing, would rather have just a head cab/box.

Less crunch than a 80. The 80 is not very crunchy or nasally to my ears.
You may want to try the EQ to get rid of the nasal. You may want to check out the EV stuff .... maybe the EVL ?

There was a guy selling his head box about a week ago on this forum.
May still have it for sale ? I am not sure if Mesa still makes them. But you could buy them ... Give Mesa a call. They are not very good about taking care of email.

I like the celestian T-100 with mine. I run a 2x12 cab tho...

stephen sawall said:
Less crunch than a 80. The 80 is not very crunchy or nasally to my ears.

I wasn't talking about the 80's, I was referring to the C90 that in the combo. The 80's are in my 2X12. You're correct, the 80's aren't crunchy or nasally at all. I tried swapping one of the 80's into the combo...still didn't get the results I needed. The combo sounds to boxy on its own. Basically I need a speaker that will open the sound of the combo up when used by itself.

Wide body cab is better than the rack size. But never found a speaker even the EVL that did what you want. That is the sound of that cab. I use a Vintage 30 in mine. It is good for miking and for jams. But I run it thru 2x12 and 4x12's most of the time.

Try putting a beam blocker over the C-90. It disperses the nasily highs more evenly. I think it is an important component to this amp with a C-90 in it. An EVM-12L is the perfect compliment to this amp IMO.

Also, Check out GTS ( Member of this board ) for the head shell, he does fantastic work and can pretty much make you whatever style of head shell you want. Search him out and PM him, you will be glad you did.

Like otheres have said.

It's the cab, there aint a speaker in the world that is going to change that. I like the sound I get from the mesa combos, but they all seem to sound better to me going through a closed back cab.

If you went the route of the combo because you wanted small, just get you a head cab and a 1x12.

I am running my Mark IVb head into a Recto 1x12 with a vintage 30 and it sounds phenominal. The mark IV is light(relatively speaking), and the 1x12 is easy to pick up as well.

Latest posts

Back