Just discovered fjamods.com WOW!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryjan

Reaction score
Anyone sick of having to run a boost pedal to tighten up their recto should listen to some of this doods clips. Nice prices also. I emailed him about supercharging my mark iv but he said he doesnt mod those. I think I'm most impressed by the single rec. :shock:

Not sure if you've already put a OD pedal in front of your rectifier but the Ibanez TS9 is awesome with it. It sounds amazing and you have the option of keeping your head the way it was made with no "MODS".

I think some of the FJ Modded stuff sounds ok but man, I've heard to many others with OD pedals in front that sound way better not to mention my own.

Sure thing... OD in front of a Recto does WONDERS. Pickups play a role too. Hotter/brighter pickups = tighter Recto tone. The new Petrucci sig pickups I installed in my JP6 combined with an OD in front of my Rectoverb sounds uber tight. :twisted:

Agreed. I owned a Voodoo modded rectifier for a little...sounded WAY tight and chuggy, but it wasn't a rectifier anymore if you ask me.

If you want a recto, get a recto. It will ALWAYS have a slightly slower response than a naturally tight amp. Boost help A LOT, but it's the nature of it.

If you want a tight amp, get something else. That's what the mod does IMO...it makes it something else.

ibanez4life SZ! said:
Agreed. I owned a Voodoo modded rectifier for a little...sounded WAY tight and chuggy, but it wasn't a rectifier anymore if you ask me.

If you want a recto, get a recto. It will ALWAYS have a slightly slower response than a naturally tight amp. Boost help A LOT, but it's the nature of it.

If you want a tight amp, get something else. That's what the mod does IMO...it makes it something else.
So by your logic, if I dont like the strings on my guitar I shouldnt change them to suit my tastes, I should buy a different guitar? :roll: Well of course it makes it something else. I think the idea of having a push/pull gain pot is great. I hate running boost pedals cause thats just one more thing to plug in, break, add noise, etc. Most pros use modded amps, Petrucci, Hetfield, EVH, all have something done to their stock amps.

ryjan said:
So by your logic, if I dont like the strings on my guitar I shouldnt change them to suit my tastes, I should buy a different guitar? :roll:

I'd say string swapping would equte to swapping tubes. Modding would be like hacking up your LP into the shape of a V... :lol:

I'm not against modding at all (see my sig). Most people here probably aren't either. I think they're just trying to say a boost in front gives you the same effect as the particular mod you're looking at. Best of all, a boost pedal already is footswitchable.

I see your point. I dont know about hacking an lp to a vee, maybe a pickup change is more comparable. I have never owned or even played a modded amp and think the idea of having a one off amp is cool. Kind of like having a custom made guitar. If you show up to practice or a gig with a roadster and a ts9 then people know what to expect. When you come in with a recoverb and one cord then blow the doors off everything then its fun. Like having a hot rod sleeper. :twisted: That and for some reason I like having as little gear to drag around as possible.

Mods are cool. It's like having a great guitar, say like a PRS, and putting some different pickups in because you would like it to sound like you want to. I love the sound of my Dual, but there are a few tweaks that i think would make it killer. I think that is the overall goal of a mod. Why have a screamer and the extra cord/power supply when you could just plug straight in?

The tone at 30 seconds in is awesome. Still sounds like a recto to me. It would def be cooler if the boost was foot switchable.

Back