Just bought a used Mark V 90w. I own a Mark V 35.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, Congrats on your new amp! I have a mk V 90 that I was never 100% happy with the high gain sound. I tried a BBE sonic stomp in the loop and this thing absolutely rips now. I have a MK IV also, and eq's in its loop work amazing, but my same eq tricks on my IV never worked on my V. It tightens up the bass frequencies to where they sound right to my ear now. All I am running is a noise gate in front, and a BBE in the loop, and now it's one of my favorite amps finally.

Empress makes a 3-band fully parametric pedal, the ParaEQ. And a version with a switch with 3 fixed bandwidths instead of a knob with the full range of adjustable bandwidth.
Hope I dont regret it and hope i got the right one my budget is caped gonna sell my 10 band mxr and a few other pedels I dont use and for sure im selling my mark V:35W. Any tips on using it with the mark V?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240806_213145_Reverb.jpg
    Screenshot_20240806_213145_Reverb.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240806_213714_Reverb.jpg
    Screenshot_20240806_213714_Reverb.jpg
    206.1 KB · Views: 0
The Mark V 90w makes you wish you had a GEQ for each amp lol. On channel 2 I feel Edge needs a completly diff GEQ setting than the other amps and on edge I feal the tone shapes like sort of like a marshal, the complete oposite of mark 1, 2c+, mark IV, Extream and even some of the cleans.

Also for the first time in my life my tone nobs dont sound like complete crap. Im still going to get the caps changed on the tone nob on my guitar to .014 uf or whatever on the neck.

Are EL34 like a hybrid of EL 84 and 6L6?
EL84 is like the smaller, lower wattage version of EL34. 6V6 would be the smaller 6L6 counterpart. I had a couple Peaveys with EL84 and they were really boxy.
Yeah, the JP2C having two GEQ's is nice. The Mark I mode especially needs completely different settings. That's what I use the Source Audio EQ2 for - so I can keep the 5 band on the amp and the 10 band parametric in the loop on the same settings for every channel, then use presets on the EQ2 to make further adjustments. The Mark I mode is so dark and bass-heavy, but I can get it to sound great with the right EQ.

Also its almost like the Mark V:35W and The Mark V:90w are completly diffrent amps. I can tell im gonna be able to get what I want with it but im gonna have to spend some serious time figuring it out.
Hey Congrats... had mine for a number of years now and still discovering new settings even today. (y)

Back