JTM45/Marshall like tones from a LS

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toneguy86

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has hit on some things that are similar to this on channel 2. I have not done any mods and really don't plan to right now. Anyone have a setting that comes close?

Basis of recepie: =C= 34's

Sauce: gain at 2pm / drive between noon and 1 pm

EQ to taste depending on pups and speakers. I also find an OD out front useful in changing texture and taste, and ride the guitar volume a lot to get the response I need

I tried 34s. This amp is SO mid heavy they just became ponderous. Plus I use a Les Paul and other humbucker type guitars and this amp, especially on channel 2 just struggled. So much mids I couldn't dial it back. Went back to 6L6s and just set channel 2 on Thicker setting to change the character a bit.

Another mod I am looking at is speakers. I have the stock speakers now. Have heard good things about Weber Blue dogs. Not sure that's what I need. Suggestions here helpful too.

I did a bunch of playing this weekend and hit on some things.

screamingdaisy made a suggestion in another thread about using the treble control to shape the tone and the using presence control more as the overall "treble". I always used presence in the 10-11 range because I thought it would make channel 2 spikey and change the overall feel of attack. What I found was that it actually helped me get to the feel I was looking for on both channels. I do bring the treble control up, but only to 1:30 or 2 and then add sparkle on the top end of that with the presence control. Mids stay moderate (9-9:30), bass stays low (around 9). This is key for dialing out mud on channel 2.

The other thing (again based on another suggestion) was to use the gain control up higher. I went through a period where I felt like I was getting closer to the sound I want with the drive up higher then the gain. It just never felt right. With everything EQ'd as mentioned, the gain at about 2:00-3 feels right. Drive varies between 9 and 10. With a Les Paul...this is THE tone right now. Very Page or Paul Kossoff sounding. The test will be with a band...but I have two band rehearsals with different bands this week.

As mentioned...the next "mod" will be speakers. Any help here appreciated. I have an open back combo...212.

Before you try .speakers, you should try the channel 2 pot swap. The pot swap gets rid of the mud and makes the eq easier to dial in. I also couldnt get the tone I was after with humbuckers in the channel 2. I swapped the pots and couldnt be happier. I was constantly playing with eq on channel 2 with my band.... after the pot swap I havent touched it in a while

tle4 said:
Before you try .speakers, you should try the channel 2 pot swap. The pot swap gets rid of the mud and makes the eq easier to dial in. I also couldnt get the tone I was after with humbuckers in the channel 2. I swapped the pots and couldnt be happier. I was constantly playing with eq on channel 2 with my band.... after the pot swap I havent touched it in a while

This is the proverbial Reeder mod, right? I may do that. I am trying to find a tech I trust. Not many in my neck of the woods...in fact none for 300 miles or so. I would rather not get into the inside of that amp if I can help it.

I've read posts on this mod, but could you break it down simple. Is it just a matter of swiching the gain and drive pots?

The GAIN and MASTER Volume pots on the gain channel get swapped.You just unsolder the pots and switch them. It is pretty simple if you can solder half decent. It is easily reversible without any trace of modding it. Swapping the two pots makes the gain channel the same as the clean channel but with the extra gain stage

Latest posts

Back