John Petrucci talks and demos the Mark V (settings)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rika, what kind of ibanez you using?
i have a MkV, vert 2x12, a BFR JP6 and it sounds like that video well minus the blending of two mics, and all around better playing.. but when i plug my RG (basswood) with AN and SS pups it sounds quite different (without changing knobs)
Also, he used red jazz 3 for quite some time, and recentlly switched to the black ones, (i think to be more metal and in step with his dark colored guitars) and is now supposed to get a "signature" jazz pic.

there is some difference between the black and the red, i think the black is thinner, but i can't really tell. and know word that i have seen on his sig pics.

and regarding the videos, i get so annoyed at how effortless he makes it look :)

dmcguitar said:
i have a MkV, vert 2x12, a BFR JP6 and it sounds like that video well minus the blending of two mics, and all around better playing.. but when i plug my RG (basswood) with AN and SS pups it sounds quite different (without changing knobs)
Also, he used red jazz 3 for quite some time, and recentlly switched to the black ones, (i think to be more metal and in step with his dark colored guitars) and is now supposed to get a "signature" jazz pic.

there is some difference between the black and the red, i think the black is thinner, but i can't really tell. and know word that i have seen on his sig pics.

and regarding the videos, i get so annoyed at how effortless he makes it look :)

I use Jazz IIIs(both colors) and the difference between the red and black isn't thickness- it's the material they are made of.

I have black and red and they seem exactly the same.
Then you have the tortex and ultex... those are different, i prefer the red or black! i thought the difference was only in color

dmcguitar said:

Mine is an Ibanez RG 320 and the sound is not In Your Face type of sound of the vid but you can still use it..I´m through a peavey 4x12 at the moment and I´m using the black jazz III

To me sounds like he is boosting the amp

The difference you are hearing could be cab and speakers. I just switched to a Mesa traditional with c90's from one of the better line 6 cabs and the difference is HUGE! Try your mark thrue a better cab and you may change your mind on the boosting.

He explained this in some video... said his new guitar, because of its woods, sounded better in the Mark than in the Roadking...

primeholy said:
The difference you are hearing could be cab and speakers. I just switched to a Mesa traditional with c90's from one of the better line 6 cabs and the difference is HUGE! Try your mark thrue a better cab and you may change your mind on the boosting.

Yes, that could be a reason but the basswood guitar is another one

he switched, according to him from some interview as replayed by my memory, to the recto sound after 6 degrees, they starting writing for train of thought and he wanted a "heavier" / "bigger" sound. so for two ablums (train and octavarium) he used road kings. then came systematic chaos and he was looking for something else, maybe more aggressive, and played through his old amps and said "man the sound i love is the marks"(paraphrasing here) and used the mark iv (mainly) which of course led to the bcsl and the IIc+ / IV blend.

in short, he like all of us likes different tones for different songs at different times, and certain amp sounds were best in his head....

(imo the tours with the road kings dont sound as good on the old songs, from metropolis pt II and earlier)

Back