John Mclaughlin amp. Mark I

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott K

Reaction score
Hey guys...I was wondering if you know what amp JM played. I'm assuming it was a Mark I with Santana. When did he stop using Mesas? (His predominantly acoustic era?) Does anyone have pics/ads? I can't find much info on this on the net.

Thanks

http://www.cs.cf.ac.uk/Dave/mclaughlin/art/sinewave.html#eq

McLaughlin's amplifier of choice is a Roland Jazz Chorus 120

This head was supposed to have belonged to McLaughlin for time. The story I got was that Carlos gave it to him while they were in California and after the gigs and recording John gave it back rather then ship it home. Cool story.

BoogieClassic.jpg

908ssp said:
This head was supposed to have belonged to McLaughlin for time. The story I got was that Carlos gave it to him while they were in California and after the gigs and recording John gave it back rather then ship it home. Cool story.

BoogieClassic.jpg

May I have it? Thanks.

Good Day!

I'm new the the board, and have enjoyed scanning the comments. This topic I know a tiny bit about so I'll add my 2 cents.

With the first incarnation of the Orchestra, John was Les Paul->Marshall. Soon, he was Gibson SG double neck -> marshall. That lasted a long time. Soon after he met and started colaborating with Santana, Carlos discovered Mesa and turned McLaughlin on to them.

I saw the 2nd incarnation of the Orchestra when they were on the Apocalypse tour (Ponty, Walden). John was playing the playing the Rex Bogue double Rainbow through a Mesa Mark I combo, unmiked, no effects.
Best guitar sound I've ever heard. From that day on, I've wanted one of my own ...

Be well

Oscar

That image looks like a reissue Mark I because the original Mark I has the old Fender knobs and that one looks like have modern current Boogie Mark knobs.

Looks like a Mk II-c to me. I count 7 knobs, & 6 pull switches.. Hard to tell.

RR said:
That image looks like a reissue Mark I because the original Mark I has the old Fender knobs and that one looks like have modern current Boogie Mark knobs.
I agree with you guys, it does look Mark II-something because of the push-pull pots, I did not notice it at first glance.

MKIIC+ modded. It sounds terrific. 100 watt. Here is another picture on a different cab.

DSCN1074copy.jpg

oscaroscaroscar said:
Good Day!

I'm new the the board, and have enjoyed scanning the comments. This topic I know a tiny bit about so I'll add my 2 cents.

With the first incarnation of the Orchestra, John was Les Paul->Marshall. Soon, he was Gibson SG double neck -> marshall. That lasted a long time. Soon after he met and started colaborating with Santana, Carlos discovered Mesa and turned McLaughlin on to them.

I saw the 2nd incarnation of the Orchestra when they were on the Apocalypse tour (Ponty, Walden). John was playing the playing the Rex Bogue double Rainbow through a Mesa Mark I combo, unmiked, no effects.
Best guitar sound I've ever heard. From that day on, I've wanted one of my own ...

Be well

Oscar

It must have been incredible to see them.

Latest posts

Back