JJ's Integrated Quad in DR

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Platypus

Reaction score
Anyone done this?

Basically two EL34L's and two 6L6GC's run in EL34 bias mode... I have a quad of each of these tubes and figured it might be fun to mix it up but I've heard mixed things about it. Any first hand experience would be great.

Don't one set of the tubes have to be on the "cooler" side? So they're all sort-of matched?

Well then! Looks like your the guinnea pig here! Give it a try then, and let us know! I always liked the upper mids and tight lows of the 34's, but missed the sizzle of 6L6's! I wanna know! :eek:

Platypus said:
Anyone done this?

Basically two EL34L's and two 6L6GC's run in EL34 bias mode... I have a quad of each of these tubes and figured it might be fun to mix it up but I've heard mixed things about it. Any first hand experience would be great.

The idea of an integrated quad is to use 2 EL34's and 2 6l6's that draw the same current. So if you do this, make sure that you mix tubes that draw the same current. You can't jsut put any pair of tubes in there.

Bob can sell teh pairs seperately to you if you happen to know the output of your tubes.With JJ tubes from eurotubes, there will be a number written on the box indicating how hot the tubes are.

Paul Secondino said:
Platypus said:
Anyone done this?

The idea of an integrated quad is to use 2 EL34's and 2 6l6's that draw the same current. So if you do this, make sure that you mix tubes that draw the same current. You can't jsut put any pair of tubes in there.

Bob can sell teh pairs seperately to you if you happen to know the output of your tubes.With JJ tubes from eurotubes, there will be a number written on the box indicating how hot the tubes are.

Yes.. I'm familiar with how it works and what current value my tubes have. My question was for tone purposes, what people thought about it.

Thanks

Tonally the El34's have less low mids but more high mids. I think it's a great match fo the Dual Recto. While having less low end, the EL34's will sound itghter in the low end so you lose a little but gain some things back. IQ's in the Rectos are a home run.You can't lose

I've been running pure EL34's for a while now and I think it sounds about perfect so I'd be interested to try it just for grins and giggles. I am using EL34L's so they're not totally void of bass and I run the control pretty high as it is and it's plenty bassy.

Paul Secondino said:
Tonally the El34's have less low mids but more high mids. I think it's a great match fo the Dual Recto. While having less low end, the EL34's will sound itghter in the low end so you lose a little but gain some things back. IQ's in the Rectos are a home run.You can't lose

i think this guy doesnt realize that you are a tone guru platypus lol

I played with a band last weekend and one of the guitarists in that band used the JJ integrated Quad set up. I didn't know it before the concert, so i didn't really go out and listen to it, or listen for it while they were playing. But, that band is currently on a tour and it seems to be doing fine for him. I did notice that the bias switch wsa set to EL-34 and there was a "NO!" sticker on the Silicon Diode switch, reminding him not to switch it over to the Diodes i guess, while running the Quad. Just thought I'd share.

-AJH

MesaENGR412 said:
I played with a band last weekend and one of the guitarists in that band used the JJ integrated Quad set up. I didn't know it before the concert, so i didn't really go out and listen to it, or listen for it while they were playing. But, that band is currently on a tour and it seems to be doing fine for him. I did notice that the bias switch wsa set to EL-34 and there was a "NO!" sticker on the Silicon Diode switch, reminding him not to switch it over to the Diodes i guess, while running the Quad. Just thought I'd share.

-AJH

Thanks, I know all about how they work :)

I guess I'll be the guinnea pig on this one and let you all know.

Latest posts

Back