JJ/Telsa preamp tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

screamingdaisy

Reaction score
Anyone retube their preamp with JJs? And if you did, is it all JJ, or just certain positions?

I've read lots on the effects of their power tubes, but I'm going to experiment with a set of their preamp tubes shortly and am wondering what kinda results others have had.

Hey Screamingdaisy, I had put a complet set in my F-50. I have ECC803S in the V-1 position. (I was looking for a real nice clean when I chose that tube) I can still get a decent channel two, as well. Overall, I really like the JJ's. They gave my amp more definition and I do like the tone better than what I had before.

Hi. I have retubed one of my Studio Preamps with JJ's ECC83S tubes (all) if I remember correctly. I found them a bit "darker" (less bright) sounding than the original Mesa tubes but also more smooth, less harsh, when overdriven. I like the JJ preamp tubes, maybe because I like a less trebly sound than most others? My graphical equalizer settings are usually the opposite of most other Mesa users I noticed (inverse "smile" setting: medium bass, high mids, medium to low treble). Don't forget that the poweramp influences the total sound as well. I use Mesa 20/20 and 295 Stereo poweramps with JJ tubes as well so the JJs in the poweramps may be contributing to the darker sound too. I noticed this especially after replacing the standard Mesa tubes (EL84s) in my 20/20 with JJs. Let me know what you think of the JJs.

Latest posts

Back